Indian Summer means its time to think about winter again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well here in the UK it's September the time of our Indain summer meaning the nights are clear and thus getting that bit colder so its now you should be thinking about puting some time aside to give your pond and filters a good spruce up ready for the riggers of winter which for many are just around the corner .
Giving your pond a good clean prior to the winter means you are creating for you fish the optimum conditions with which to survive the riggours our respective Western winter months , some may get mild winter conditions others harsh and long
But by doing this now you are creating best possible condition for the spring, thus will be helping your fish survive what will be a very difficult time for your fish, with them being at their lowest edd.
Willo's post about swopping to Wheatgerm and garlic means we should be weening our fish off their summer feeds about now and swopping as she rightly states Wheatherm being a more digestable food for our koi and goldfish who contrary to poppular believe like koi do not have stomachs
Remember as the temperature dips, to stop feeding stop feeding your fish at the 10c mark.
Some foods say 5c I know but I have yet to meet a koi keeper who pays attention to that "with all unless heating their pond throughout prefaring to stop at the 10c mark".
Now if preperation is done in time for the winter you shouldn't have much in the way of problems the other end of it in Spring.
If you cant get wheat germ and galic mix by a bottle of seachems gralic extract and add it to your pellets as you feed them this way you are in part helping protect your fish from parasites as parasites appear not to like the taste...
We wish you luck in your preporations remember net your pond agaist leaves any detriitus dead leaves mulch etc should be removed by vacuuming the bottom of the pond if you dont have a pond the only option will be to net it all out of the pond .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In the US Indian summer actually refers to the weather staying warmer longer.

Same here dude but the nights are colder the days are starting to shorten meaning less in the way of daylight hours and even though hot everything is gearing down towards winter is it not ?

Dave[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
No thoughts of winter here. My poor husband was trying to do some yard work but its too hot so he came inside. We have endless summers here. My fish get to eat all year and I get to constantly clean my pond, no winter break.

Reaction score
I would like it to at least cool down to the mid 70's at some point. Its just very hot here right now. The sun is so intense. Every day I have to scoop floating algae off the top of the pond. I think I'm going to ask my hubby for one of those floating skimmers for Christmas. That would save me some time and keep the pond looking better. Right now I'm embarrassed if someone pops over to see it and I haven't skimmed the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No thoughts of winter here. My poor husband was trying to do some yard work but its too hot so he came inside. We have endless summers here. My fish get to eat all year and I get to constantly clean my pond, no winter break.

It's about this time of year that I feel grateful for the onset of fall and winter. In spring I think "Oh how I would love this ponding weather all year long!" By September I'm ready for a break. Not ready for winter - and ESPECIALLY not ready for another winter like last year! - but I am ready for the changes that fall brings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Priscilla I dont think I could take living somewhere its hot all the time. Ugh :dead:

Lisak1 I really enjoy the change of season as well. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I refuse to think about winter until November 1st.

Why oh why can't we just go from October 31st to March 1st? That would give the perfect amount of Autumn and skip right to the time of year where temps are starting to rise again. Heck, I'd even settle for keeping November and December, but January and February are truly awful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here, Indian Summer is when it gets unusually warm after a freeze. I love Fall .. it's my favorite season. Halloween is my favorite holiday, well don't think it's an official holiday, but it is in my house ... lol Not ready to think about winter tho. Kind of curious if it will kill off my string algae this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've noticed my lilies are yellowing and trim them back when I notice. A few leaves are beginning to fall, so must think of purchasing a new net. I just finished my koi growth food and am thinking of switching them over to the spring / autumn mix, rather than buying more growth food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here, Indian Summer is when it gets unusually warm after a freeze. I love Fall .. it's my favorite season. Halloween is my favorite holiday, well don't think it's an official holiday, but it is in my house ... lol Not ready to think about winter tho. Kind of curious if it will kill off my string algae this year.

Same here... we don't consider it an Indian summer until we've had a freeze and then it warms up again. Kind of like a little bonus summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In the US Indian summer actually refers to the weather staying warmer longer.
Indian summer or not our Canadian friend got back from her holiday to Hawii to find the temperature close to 0c and is in a panic about getting her koi indoors so it shows how varied temperatures can be from day to night especially in the more northern climes .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We received 30 cm of snow here yesterday, Dave.
It's unusual for us but I wonder if we are going to see another harsh winter like last year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
MITCH! NOOOOOOOO! That's just not RIGHT! 30cm.... that's like 26 feet right? (says the girl who was sick the week we learned metric)

Ask a Question