Indoor Fry Tank

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
So I have a couple posts in other areas, but am putting one here as my tank will be inside. I have around 10 or so fry in a small tote that I want to bring in for the winter. Went and got a tank, two sponge filters, a pump and water cycle stuff. The buffet I am putting it on has a little lip in the top leaving the tank over that lip by 1/2", so I put a piece of plywood on top to have a flat surface all the way around. But either the plywood is warped or the tank is. I worry about everything, so by these photos, do you think it is safe to fill and the weight of the water will balance it out, or am I going to be in trouble?

Also the fry are in this tote, have been for a couple weeks and the water is getting green. I just added a sponge filter to it last night, but it didn't clear it. If I use that water in the tank, will it clear up once in the house or become pea soup? What is the best way to bring them into the new tank, as the temp is fluctuating 7-10 degrees night and day. I am going to try and feed some flakes, now that I have the filter in there, to get a better count, although, I can't see in the green water.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Attachments

• tank 6.jpg
    tank 6.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 184
  • tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 180
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 181
  • tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 158
  • tank 4.jpg
    tank 4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 184
  • tank 5.jpg
    tank 5.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 148
  • tank7.jpg
    tank7.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 189
  • tote 1.jpg
    tote 1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 188
  • tote 2.jpg
    tote 2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 182
  • tote3.jpg
    tote3.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 193
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The water should be enough weight to flatten the plywood. Plywood is often warped, but it's flexible enough to flatten back out with weight (or in construction, just being nailed to something flat). If it worries you, you could always use some decking screws to screw the plywood down to the top of the buffet, but it shouldn't be a problem.

You're probably going to need more than a sponge filter to keep the water clear, if that is your goal. Green water isn't necessarily bad, but if you want it to be a nice aquarium with clear water, a canister filter with UV, and adding activated carbon (in a fine media bag) to one of the media baskets in the filter would make/keep the water clear.
UV Canister Filter (the cheapest you can get a UV canister filter):
https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Aurora-External-Canister-Sterilizer/dp/B00JYEL2VE/ref=sr_1_7
Marineland Diamond blend carbon (cheapest option):
https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0392-Activated-Neutralizing-1417-Gram/dp/B0002566YM/ref=sr_1_1
Media bags (get the ultra fine ones for carbon):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015S1WW9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00

Using Prime and Purigen in addition to carbon will go even further in getting and keeping clear water.
https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Prime-Fresh-Saltwater-Conditioner/dp/B00025694O/ref=sr_1_1
https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Purigen-Ultimate-Filtration-Aquarium/dp/B01B1Q9DUY/ref=sr_1_4
These two products work together to remove toxins and organic waste. You recharge the Purigen in bleach when it turns brown, then treat it in a strong solution of the Prime before putting it back in the filter. One bag of Purigen can last several years with regular recharging (I do mine monthly). Prime is a all-purpose water conditioner that makes tap water safe and neutralizes several toxins which build up in aquariums. It's the best, IMO.

You said you have water cycle stuff. I assume you mean beneficial bacteria? If it's just a water conditioner that only removes chlorine, you'll want to add beneficial bacteria as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Stability-Fish-Tank-Stabilizer/dp/B0002APIIW/ref=sr_1_1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nothing I know of will cycle a tank fully except time. It takes time for the bacteria to grow, time for them to convert waste to less harmful forms, and time for plants to pull the usable stuff out. You can jump start the cycle by adding products that may or may not work, but honestly I find it’s better to just grab water from the pond, some plants, rocks, or such from the pond. BUT that’s only if you know the pond, and you’ll have to watch for things like dragonfly nymphs, diving beetles, and other predators. If you have another established aquarium, you can pull filter media, water, decorations, etc from that one too. For my fry tank, I pulled some water from my pleco tank, decorations, and hang on back filter, as well as water and duck weed, from the mini pond my guppies are spawning in. Being on well water, I don’t have issues with having to treat for chemicals. I’ve now got a good crop of guppies, my tetras, and pleco all in one tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You asked for opinions so here is mine: Stop, don't put water in the tank! My experience bets the tank will break. Your images look like there is space between the board and the tank at the ends and middle of the aquarium. I always place at least 1 inch of Styrofoam under my tanks but they are all on solid, wrought iron stands that are specifically made for aquarium use. The Styrofoam helps to even slight imperfections in the stand or floor. It will not help in your case. You would be better off leaving them in the tote and filtering it until you can find a solid aquarium stand. What kind of fry do you have?

Ask a Question