indoor koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
i have an indoor tank housing next years pond koi the PH is reading 7.3 any ideas on how to lower this figuer to a more fish friendly level?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A pH of 7.3 is ideal for Koi and other pond fish. Most freshwater species thrive within a pH range of 6.5 - 8.5 and some will tolerate levels beyond this range.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep pond at 8 as koi seem to thrive in that ph level ,goldfish can go lower

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No slick a PH of 7.3 is fine , how big is the tank mate and what filtration do you have on it ?

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh right thank you for that i was a bit worried, as on the test kit i own 7,3 is very much in the red end of the scale

There is no conformity among test kit manufacturers. Depending on the manufacturer the same reading of 7.3 may appear as Yellow or Green or Brown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
API test kits are light green for Ph 7.0 and dark green for Ph 7.5 your basically safe from Ph 7.0 to 8.5 Slick

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Again thank you so much for that you have set my mind at rest i can now sleep tonight

API test kits are light green for Ph 7.0 and dark green for Ph 7.5 your basically safe from Ph 7.0 to 8.5 Slick

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave its a 200 ltr tank and im running a all pond solutions 1000ef plus external pressure filter with a built in 18 watt uv turning over 1000 ltrs per hour

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave its a 200 ltr tank and im running a all pond solutions 1000ef plus external pressure filter with a built in 18 watt uv turning over 1000 ltrs per hour
The external I have left over from my indoor koi keeping days is a Fluvel FX5 , you cant beat them , they are almost an outdoor filter ,I may this year add ours to the pond to help with cooling it down in summer.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
: 257049, member: 5153"]The external I have left over from my indoor koi keeping days is a Fluvel FX5 , you cant beat them , they are almost an outdoor filter ,I may this year add ours to the pond to help with cooling it down in summer.

Dave[/QUOTE]
Hi Dave 54 mega disaster bin working away got home last night Kohaku in aquarium not good amonia levels through the roof, broken impeller in external filter sorted now mega water changes safe water added, bio filter starter added, amonia remover added all levels now at zero but think that the very small and young gin rin Kohaku has been brain damaged is there anyway back for the fish or is too late to rescue fist very disorientated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
: 257049, member: 5153"]The external I have left over from my indoor koi keeping days is a Fluvel FX5 , you cant beat them , they are almost an outdoor filter ,I may this year add ours to the pond to help with cooling it down in summer.

Dave
= Hi Dave 54 mega disaster bin working away got home last night Kohaku in aquarium not good amonia levels through the roof, broken impeller in external filter sorted now mega water changes safe water added, bio filter starter added, amonia remover added all levels now at zero but think that the very small and young gin rin Kohaku has been brain damaged is there anyway back for the fish or is too late to rescue fist very disorientated
Slick you can get a product called zeolite rocks that basically leach out of the water any ammonia you may have , I use to netted sacks of zeolite rocks one in my no 2 filter the other being charged up again , I then put it away waiting to replace the other sack which in turn goes on charge etc .....
To charge them add the rocks to a bucket of salt water for 24 hours and they are ready to go again
Your local tropical shop may stock zeolite if not they will be able to order it for you :cool:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'v now got the ammonia level to zero, the nitrite level to zero and the nitrate is now at 10 mg/l but it's the baby kohaku I'm worrird about, he's not looking good at all all fins up no red or inflamed gills no red streaking in the fins or body but can't swim straight.
as for the Doitsu most of my koi are i have a doitsu kahaku, a shiro Bekko, and a doitsu hikari muji mono.
i think they make an interesting change to the pond,
im just scared that there is no way back for the little gin Kohaku!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
what do you mean when you say he cant swim straight slick can he hold his body upright and hold position in the water or is he starting off as normal then dropping over on his side .is he swimming head up or down what about the gills do they look as though they raised?
Anything you can tell us now may help
Can you take a photo or two of him please lets have a look at him , you may havbe missed something we know to look out for and pick up on it for you .
But sadly it may be one your going to have to chalk up to experiance my friend (we all loose the odd fish) I lost my 8th in 27 years last year and it was one of my two 27 year olds that died.:cry:
This was a stunted koi that I rescued out of a 2ft tank that had an oscar as a tabk mate so you can imagine the koi was very beaten up .
We got it back to health and it lived to a ripe old age .:happy:

Dave

Ask a Question