indoor koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave54, photo's of Kohaku. White underside, white gills, no streaking in fins.
2015-02-07 11.23.24.jpg
2015-02-07 11.23.19.jpg
2015-02-07 11.22.40.jpg
2015-02-07 11.22.32.jpg
2015-02-07 11.22.21.jpg
2015-02-07 11.20.25.jpg
2015-02-07 11.18.49.jpg

This is the external filter system I'm using:
2015-02-07 11.20.36.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Shame mate I've a feeling that this koi has problems with its swimbladder mate I cant see much in the way of there being anything else amiss here mate .
Swimbladder issues can occure of their own accord or be triggered by some underlying health problem such as a tumour or bactrial infection the koi is to young to hve egg retention which can be a cause in adult fish.
Gulping air can cause koi to become bloated and a concequence of this air gulping show the same sypmtoms as a swmbladder problem you didnt notice it doing that at anytime did you ?.
As long as the koi can eat doesnt end up on the bottom all the time (developing pressure sores), then they can live like this believe it or not .
Temperature fluctuations can cause this to happen as well mate .
You could try catching it in a net and maintaining its position in the net at the surface of the tank.
Another thing you can try is salting the tank at about 3.5 ounces per gallon but remember with salt your going to need to remove it from the water before treating with anything else especially formalin.
Both Formalin and salt remove mucus from our koi to use the two together would result in then believe it or not being burnt,
You may consider taking it to the nearest speciaalist like a vet to have the swimbladder reinflated but that would cost you .
Other than that mate theres nothing you can do apart from heat the tank up to see if that would work "thats a long shot".
If its eating you could try garden peas and chopped earthworm.

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 thank you for taking the time to view the photos i had a funny feeling it could be swim bladder problem when you say trying to support the fish in an upright position close to the surface, roughly how long for? as this is a new technique to me i have some frozen peas i can cook up and shell to try that, you also mentioned salting i use it in the main pond as i tonic but have never used it in the aquarium you think this could help,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 thank you for taking the time to view the photos i had a funny feeling it could be swim bladder problem when you say trying to support the fish in an upright position close to the surface, roughly how long for? as this is a new technique to me i have some frozen peas i can cook up and shell to try that, you also mentioned salting i use it in the main pond as i tonic but have never used it in the aquarium you think this could help,
Salt has antibiotic properties mate so it could help your koi , as to netting it and keeping it just bellow the surface so that its supported (how long is a piece of string) its the suggested treatment.
The koi is either going to recover or it isnt cant be more specific than that it either will or wont cure itself , we have a 50/50 shot at this ..
I just dont want to see your other koi taking chunks out of its fins because of its current predicament mate .
To date I've only ever turned one koi around with swimbladder issues) in 28 years .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 thank you for that so i may have to be preprepared to lose my small gin kohaku then ill try all three and see what happens but at 50/50 we may still having a fighting chance then?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly mate euthanzing the koi because there is very little else you can do I'm affraid , it happens to us all from time to time we loose a koi sadly its a fact of fish keeping medicine that you cannot win them all.
Sometimes you think you've turned a fish around and it doesnt pan out , but the next time it may
But at least give it a try first you never know you may well turn it around mate , all we can do is to try and educate ourselves a best we can about fish health issues , then try.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Slick wht have you decided , which way are you going to do this giving the little guy a fighting chance or simply not prolong its suffering like I said you'd be amazed howsometimes things can be turned around .
Have you salted the fish tank yet or do you need to know how much to put into it prior to doing this ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
slick:

I'll tell you a story that happened to me and you can decide if you want to attempt same; I used to have some Tin Foil barbs, large ones, and one developed a problem with his swim bladder, much as your fish has. What I did, seeing as I did not want him to die but figured whatever I did MIGHT allow a natural healing, is that I built a 'narrow channeled' holding tank from plexiglas. My fish was probably 4 inches long. The holding tank about 18" by 8" by 3". The narrowness does not allow the fish to flip and this gave the fish a chance to recover (which btw, he did, though he was never the same re swimming, but he lived for a goodly while thereafter). Of course I had to monitor the 'aquarium' water quality and added air. The trick is to make the aquarium narrow enough so he can't turnover. Actually, now that I remember, I put the holding tank inside my 50 gallon and drilled small holes in the sides and bottom so there was an exchange of his water with that of the 50 gallon, which had the rest of my tropicals. So, not a huge expense (plexiglas and silicone, separate airstone/pump) but it might give your fish a chance like it did mine.

Anyway, maybe this will help.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A good idea , you didnt acctually say that it worked out for your fish though, what happened did it work out ?
Theres another think you could try Slick but it would cost you though "is a visit to the vet in that there is an operation you could have them try mate but it would cost you an arm and a leg".
You could take your koi to the vet and have them run a needle into the swimbladder in the hope this corrects things and your koi then regains its ballence through this operation, however dont try it yourself mate , "even we with all our years would take it to the vet and not try it ourselves" .
Basically there is a path they can follow with the needle that misses all the important organs of your koi which they then use to ther favour in running a needle through into the swimbladder, thus releving pressure on the swimbladder which will hopefully put the koi back to rights .

Its up to you mate :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question