Indoor Pond - Humidity

Reaction score
I recently bought a house that has an amazing series of outdoor ponds. We tried to raise fish in them and had pretty good sucess until the evil Blue Herons found it. Long story short, we want to install a small indoor pond for use over the winter months and were thinking of just using a small 100 gallon pre-formed pond. Our house has a large spa room with an area that was made for plants (under the gravel in the picture below is soil):

conservatory.jpg

I think this is a good place for the pond. The area you see in the picture is only 1/4 of the total room space which I think is around 25' x 25'. The rest of the area is exercise related and includes a covered hot tub. The walls are all wood paneled and the ceiling is 2 story vaulted sheetrock. The ceiling has some sort of venting, but nothing mechanical. (If we leave the cover off the hot tub, we'll get condensation on the ceiling.) With a pond this small (and maybe a little fountain in it) should we be concerned about humidity coming off the pond? I don't think something this small would make a difference, but my partner disagrees.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Have fun with your new pond. it looks like a great location. As far as humidity is concerned; if it does become a problem you can install a heat recovery system.

It really depends on your geographical location and the temperature that you keep the pond. Hear in Calgary it is a non issue, but I think residents in Florida would disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation

Ask a Question