Indoor stock tank Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Question about filters
I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub which I will be using for 4 small comets. I have a 265 gph pump in a filter box which I’m running now to cycle tank. I will use the pond water before I move fish to fill. Would this be enough filteration. My outdoor pond has a 625 gph pump . Currently I have a 265 gph in a filter box with the appropriate black and blue filter pads With bio balls. The outlet from filter box goes into a plastic bin with crush aggravate to help buffer water. Is this adequate filtration. Also I bought a used canister filter not sure what the orange media is

Thanks

Attachments

• 94A25FC8-F4E8-436F-B563-1ADA5867557C.jpeg
    94A25FC8-F4E8-436F-B563-1ADA5867557C.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 75
  • D538B7FA-041A-47A5-A355-FB9D6FAB198E.jpeg
    D538B7FA-041A-47A5-A355-FB9D6FAB198E.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 2E1FB737-FB17-4708-B2B9-37B37E03BE4B.jpeg
    2E1FB737-FB17-4708-B2B9-37B37E03BE4B.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 77
Reaction score
Country
United States
The orange media looks like red ceramic rings for nitrifying bacteria. Is this just for a temporary (over winter) set-up? What you have will work well for 4 small goldfish. Your window ledge might get wet although. Using the canister filter in addition is a good idea. What type of 'crushed aggregate' are you using and why? Were the rocks brought in from your outdoor pond? If so, great idea. The trick to success is to bring in a bunch of substrate and plants from your outdoor pond to help jump start the stock tank's cycle. After you bring in the rocks and plants, I would also bring in one (just one) gold fish to help cycle the stock tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
The orange media looks like red ceramic rings for nitrifying bacteria. Is this just for a temporary (over winter) set-up? What you have will work well for 4 small goldfish. Your window ledge might get wet although. Using the canister filter in addition is a good idea. What type of 'crushed aggregate' are you using and why? Were the rocks brought in from your outdoor pond? If so, great idea. The trick to success is to bring in a bunch of substrate and plants from your outdoor pond to help jump start the stock tank's cycle. After you bring in the rocks and plants, I would also bring in one (just one) gold fish to help cycle the stock tank.
I’m using Carib sea aragonite my well water is very acidic has no buffering
Have some in a sock at drop point waterfall maintains ph 7.2-7.6 well water ph is 6.0 I have two of the fish in tub already. I have a 50 gallon tank which I’m cycling to ad to the tub with some of the pond water
I have seeded gravel being filtered by two seeded hob filters.
as you see in picture ph fine ph seems to be 7.6 ammonia is between 0.25-0.50 Nitrite 0 ppm
And nitrates are 5.0 night before last night test ammonia was 2.0 and other specs match today’s reading did a 75 Percent water change Last night have bio balls in filters as well as ceramic bio rings. Do I do another large water change ?

Attachments

• F52CCAF5-B60C-4873-B9C2-910634B0DC65.jpeg
    F52CCAF5-B60C-4873-B9C2-910634B0DC65.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not sure if your ammonia question is about your stock tank or your 29-gallon aquarium question in another post on this site. Let me clarify a statement. I assumed (I know never do that :)) your stock tank was now cycled and you wanted to add all four goldfish at one time. No, only add one fish at a time to prevent a huge ammonia spike. Perhaps add a fish every couple of days. I never promote cycling with fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I am not sure if your ammonia question is about your stock tank or your 29-gallon aquarium question in another post on this site. Let me clarify a statement. I assumed (I know never do that :)) your stock tank was now cycled and you wanted to add all four goldfish at one time. No, only add one fish at a time to prevent a huge ammonia spike. Perhaps add a fish every couple of days. I never promote cycling with fish.
My stock tank already has two fish in already and the water in stock tank is cycled But only has about 45 gallons the 29 gallon is being fish less cycled those are the specs I’m referring to. When the 29 gallon is cycled I will add to stock tank and when transport fish from outside I will use my pond water to Fill the 100 gallon tank Hope that makes ssnse

Ask a Question