addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has been a few years (4 to be exact) since I have had a inside tank. I had a real nice 175 gallon in arizona, but too big to move. I also had 3 fluval canister filters with it. Well sold/gave away the set up.

Honey wants to over winter the deck pond shubbies in the house, so we now have a 55 gallon tank sitting on the floor under the tv.
My ? best way to filter it. The fluvals have gone way up in price since I bought one, which canister filter would do a decent job on this tank for my shubbies, I want something that will survive our wanderings and keep the fish healthy.

Or is there a home made filter system that would work, and not leak on our wood floor. Been racking my brain cells on a way to make one that would work, but it has got to be leak proof.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let's see, start with a small Rubbermaid stock tank, and then add ..... No, just kidding, Addy, LOL! Back when my boxies were teeny and I over-wintered them indoors, I got an Eheim canister filter to keep their water filtered. It had lots of neat add-ons like spray bars, and tubing options. I liked it, but it wasn't long before their waste overtook the capacity of the filter to do it's job. Haven't had a real aquarium in years, so not really up on what's what these days.

Reaction score
If I had to have another right now, I would go home made, with a mini strainer around a power head inside the tank for the intake... put a sheet of plastic under the tank, and stick the "small tote filter" into a larger tote, just for a JUST IN CASE leak... Then stick a nice plant in front of the filter to hide it LOL.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am very tempted, don't feel like spending 60 plus on a filter for a temporary tank. I could run it to the one side of the tv unit, make leak proof tubing to the tub and back............and pray lol. Still thinking on it. It has 4 petite shubbies in it, (1.50 a piece) sort of qt settle the new tank fish, which is full of pond water.

Ask a Question