Indoor winter plywood tank for koi

Reaction score
Hello,

I came across this web site (thanks to nightstalkerrc) after I posted a link of my new indoor koi winter tank on you tube.

It appears this koi group forum seems to fit the smaller size ponds, my outdoor pond is only 1200 gallons, I plan to rebuild this spring but don’t see going over 2000 gal. max.

I thought I’d post it here as well as many in this group might get some good ideas from it as it’s really working great.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I just found out I need 5 posts to be able to post links, please go to youtube and search: aerohusker to see tank

Attachments

• 004 (3).jpg
    004 (3).jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 706
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 776
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 830

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome to the group huskerfan.. you can link videos directly to this site.. i am doing so with the one youve got posted now.. i am koiguy1969 on this forum
[ame]

Reaction score
NICE!

My koi are chickens. They used to look up when I look at them and eat food right away in the beginning. Now they just go up and eat after food in the water for 5-10mins. Maybe they don't care about food that much. I used to feed 'em very little once a day when indoor pond was cycling. Now it's 3x a day and growing like weeds (most 1" a month).

It's year round indoor pond. 1500G. I'm experience major yellow water 2 weeks after each water change. Anyway to solve this besides not over feeding 'em? :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do you have any activated charcoal in your waterflow path? This will remove tint in the water most of the time.

Reaction score
No... I didn't even consider it. Thinking it'll cost major $$$. How much do you think I need? Those wood bbq coal starting to look like a good alternative, if it works. LOL

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Walmart has it in large plastic bottles, I don't think it is that expensive there. I started to make my own but it got messy and I stopped. Black dust everywhere. The commercial stuff is cleaner. Put it in a nylon sock and add it it to and area where water flows. In time it will clean it up.

I only use it on my tanks, I have never worried about the ponds.

Reaction score
its pretty cheap even at petsmart. I think it's like $5 for one of those paper containers. You just need to make sure to buy one of their little net bags to keep it all in one place.

You don't need much to clear up a 1500 g pomd.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Use the 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide if there are tannins in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1 quart of 3% per 1000 gallons. I use 1 cup of 27% per 4,000 gallons,
I use 2 cups of 27% per 4,000 gallons for string algae.
This is a temporary fix. You should correct your problem at its source.
Do not pour directly on fish.

Reaction score
I'd like to have gone 4x4x8, good size tank and only 3 sheets of plywood, but no room.

I bought plywood at Home Depot, and they'll cut it for free, trimmed 2'' off of height to make it easy to lean on edge to watch koi.

Reaction score
jameskoi said:
NICE!

My koi are chickens. They used to look up when I look at them and eat food right away in the beginning. Now they just go up and eat after food in the water for 5-10mins. Maybe they don't care about food that much. I used to feed 'em very little once a day when indoor pond was cycling. Now it's 3x a day and growing like weeds (most 1" a month).

It's year round indoor pond. 1500G. I'm experience major yellow water 2 weeks after each water change. Anyway to solve this besides not over feeding 'em? :)

Hi James,

YOU ARE OVER FEEDING YOUR KOI AND YOU HAVE TOO MANY!!!!

SORRY, I didn't mean to yell, I just want to get my point accross. If there not hitting the food right away they're not hungry due to being full or sick. Try cutting their food to about half and feed twice a day not just once. Also, water changes, the o'l rule of thumb is 10% weekly not 90% once every 2-3 weeks. I read your post last night on your DIY construction, very impressive set up. But, from what I read there are a lot of things that you might want to consider for healthier Koi, less ulcers, good growth, better color, etc.

Reaction score
I'll see if I can locate some large quantities of cheap carbon and see if there would be any results. I do have two small containers of really $$$ carbon. Not going to use that stuff for pond.

As for feeding them. Yeah, I'm definitely over feeding them. I feed them 3x a day... Most are putting on 1" a month. I do change 90% once a month and have so since my pond cycled 6+ months ago. All koi are in excellent health after pond cycled. Don't seem to have any fluke problems anymore. Couldn't find any last time many months ago and I just scraped and scoped two koi moments ago.

Besides the yellow water, I don't see any issues, even with once a month epic 90% water changes. I do not recommend anyone doing that. Just one of my own radical fish keeping methods.

Ask a Question