Infection on goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone please can you help identify what is the infection on one of my fish. The pond is new, filled via a de chlorinator and also left for 2 weeks before introducing fish, pump and filter in operation. Any advise on what I should do would be much appreciated

Thanks Ian

Attachments

• IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 23

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you post a picture of the whole fish and tell us if there have been any changes in this guy’s behavior.

Also, tell us something about your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It’s hard to tell, but if they are raised and protruding I would wonder about fish lice. See the fish lice discussion on this forum for good photos and advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you post a picture of the whole fish and tell us if there have been any changes in this guy’s behavior.

Also, tell us something about your pond.
Hi the pond is a resurrected concrete pond approx 3000 lt. I rendered left for a month then painted with a gold label pond paint left for another month then filled via a de chlorinator and left for two weeks before populating with goldfish, brand new pumps filters and aerators, half half sun and shade.
I have about 30 fish all very active and with no similar disease that I can see. The fish in question still swims about okay likes bathing in the shallows, possibly less alert than the others. The fishes flanks are covered in furry lumps

If I can help further please let me know

Thanks Ian
View recent photos.png
View recent photos 2.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s hard to tell, but if they are raised and protruding I would wonder about fish lice. See the fish lice discussion on this forum for good photos and advice.
Many thanks I shall have a look

Ian

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the first i though it was a fungal bacteria infection but i just can tell from the pictures. place the camera against something and try to hold the camera as still as you can and find a spot where the glare of the sky is less

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi The fish in question was in a very bad way this morning so I had to dispatch it. Hopefully these pictures will help identify what it was.
Thank you for your help Ian

IMG_4165.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whoa! Perhaps a secondary bacterial infection/sepsis and you were kind to end its life. It would not have recovered. The first thing to rule out is high ammonia and or nitrites in the water. What are your test results? A veterinary pathologist could test for cause of death if you happened to put it on ice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look like ulsurs to me. Water quality is the main cause for those. Whether it's the usual culprits or chlorine. Lack of filtration or lack of water conditioner. Low or high ph

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look like ulsurs to me. Water quality is the main cause for those. Whether it's the usual culprits or chlorine. Lack of filtration or lack of water conditioner. Low or high ph
Many thanks test kits ordered to check
Ian

Ask a Question