Info for a friend.....Est. Pond Cost

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
A neighbor close by asked if I could give her a very rough estimated total cost, excluding labor, for a 1500 gallon, 4' max depth, EDPM lined in-ground pond. She wants to have a easy to use skimmer, internal pump and external filter. Since our pond is quite old I am hoping you lot could help me with the cost. She is not asking for equipment recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
A DIY filter, bog filter or fancy-smancy koi filter?
What about pond edging; such as rocks flagstone what not?
What is the goal of the pond? Water garden, or goldfish pond or koi pond?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
gardengimp said:
A DIY filter, bog filter or fancy-smancy koi filter?

What about pond edging; such as rocks flagstone what not?

What is the goal of the pond? Water garden, or goldfish pond or koi pond?
She has collected a pile of stone for the border. I believe goldfish rather than koi. All equipment will be retail. The only DIY may be the digging, etc. Overall rather simple. Nothing really elegant for some time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think the most expensive thing would be the liner and then next would be the pump .Liner for the size would depend .Google pond liners and also roof membrane for your area .$5 mil thick .I know at BDC here for a 20x20 roof epdm and it was 35 mil thickness was 135 dollars 20 mil was 72 dollars 45 mil was over 200 dollars ,but that is here .Pump would depend on how much flow and waterfall or stream or both .I bought my 2150 at harbor freight and it was 79 dollars and extended warranty was 10 dollars .There are lots of brands out there and lots of places to buy them .I buy locally any problems they get it back ,don't like the idea of mailing it back and waiting for it to come back .

Reaction score
The biggest ouch will be the liner. A 40 mil EDPM liner is about $0.90 per square foot here. To come up with 1500 gallons, at 4' deep (full depth for ease of calc) would come out as a 5' x 10' surface area, and require a 15 x 20 liner. I know liners are pricey here due to freight,, I would speculate for a pond that small, $200-300 should cover a decent pump and filter, and misc fittings... I would guess with free labor, a $500 budget would be in the ballpark.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can find some free shipping but would be better buying local .Check out the rubber roofing companies .I know I wish with my first liner I had checked them out first .The second one was rubber roofing and got it cheap .Most hardware or builder centers will sometimes know places to look for rubber roofing .Agree though capewind that would be the most expensive item and pump could be next most expensive .Depends on what brand you buy .I have seen to many on here go all out and spend lots of money and then seems you see them on here for awhile then they poof gone .Most important part is filtering the pond well before you get fish so they do not die and you loose hope and give up .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My biggest sticker-shock item was the liner, but not the place to try & save bucks. Check out a pond calculator for a rough estimate of size needed. Same for the underlayment, but there are ways to save on that.

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
Check out a pond calculator for a rough estimate of size needed. Same for the underlayment, but there are ways to save on that.
With underlayments, it depends on your soil type if you need it or not. When we did ours, we know there were no big rocks, roots, stumps, etc there, so only used 6' wide weed barrier under the entire area. Lots of folks use old carpet and/or carpet pads that they can get FREE.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
shop.com lets you shop and compare and pays you back for shopping at there listed stores .Amazon and other sights let you compare prices also plus wattage .

Ask a Question