info on pumps

Reaction score
I have a 70gph pump for my 60gal pond. somebody has a pump called an F-tech that is a 650gph pump for 39$, is that a good deal? would it be beneficial for a small pond. I really dont want to buy something that is not necessary.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hey pete1047...its koiguy1969 (nightstalkerrc) glad to see you made it over here...you'll learn alot. if youve got an Harbor Freight (discount tool supply) near you,they have a selection of smaller pumps at real cheap prices..but on a 60 gallon pond 650 gph pump would be kind of over kill..
i just went to youyube and pulled your video over here so people can see it and more easily help with your questions
[ame]
is that all it is, is 60 gallons?

Reaction score
thanks man for posting my pond video! yeah im not really to sure how many gallons my pond is, i just assumed its about 50-60gal. any other tips you can give me from what you have seen is greatly appreciated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
to start, go to the "newbies to garden ponds" forum and spend some time reading threads and see what you can learn or what interests you.. alot of questions you may have, could be answered in those threads...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome Pete
Post the dimensions and someone here can figure your gallons out for you if you wish.

HF has a pump I like for your application. Go to HF and search for Item Number 47117.
Right now it is $24.99. It is rated at 258 GPH and has a lot of options included for directing your water. I keep 3 of these around for water tranfers and circulation.

You will also want to goto Home Depot and buy the flex tubing that fits the pump. Beckett makes it and I think it comes in 20' rolls. Its Model number is 2034BC and online it is $16.97. I have used this combination for at least 3 years now with no failures.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Lowes also caries a nice selection of pumps and their corresponding hoses, adapters etc.. if you dont want to build your biofilter .. i was in Petsmart getting some food and saw they have a couple models on clearence if youve got one near by . ones pressurized and that means you can put it any where and bury it if you like, (up to the lid.) lowes also carries external bio filters

Reaction score
i have just done a overhaul on my pond last night. i bought a 25 gal container that i am keeping them all in for now. my pond was bigger than i thought it took about 2 1/2 hours to drain the entire thing. and catching the fish were not easy. maybe yall can give me some pointers about what the shape of the new pond should look like. i am using tarp, should i switch to a pond liner?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
absolutely a pond liner is the way to go...i thought you were using an old pool liner... for circulation and debris control ..the rounder the better but a perfect circle is not exactly natural looking. how big are you going with it ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A tarp is not going to last long. Home Depot has 15' wide EPDM liner. The last one I bought was 55 mil thick.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
wow it looks alot smaller as just a hole...get your shovel out buddy!!!
[ame]
there is absolutely nothing to stop a cat, racoon, or anything else from snacking on your fish...and that water has got to get real warm in the summer...how deep is that hole? yeah you need to do some digging if you want to keep fish in there successfully...and build or buy a filter.
p.s dig your walls straight down exspecially if you dont go over 2' deep

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have a freind who has had a pond for atleast 7 years + that i know of and he has one of the 20 mil pvc liners (sunterra brand) 14' x 14'. and i also have one on my basement pond.. i got it at MEIJERS on clearence for $40.00 mine is not exposed to u.v rays or sharp objects and will last a good long time,but his is and i know hes gotten 7 years out of it. now i dont say this as a recomendation but as a solution if you are worried about finances...my pond outside has a 45mil epdm liner which is the standard. but if your not worried about it lasting 15 or 20 years the 20 mil liners will serve you well.. just make sure you prep the hole good and lay your tarps under neath. and if you get 7 or more years out of it great.. you can find these real cheap on ebay too. just look at how long are you gonna have this pond.

Reaction score
i know tarp isnt the best, but im livin in a townhome. and my yard was boring so i thought of making a pond. it became something i like to do. i dont plan on living here for more than a couple years. i just hoping my landlord likes it and maybe keep it for the next people to move in. i plan on having a pond every where i go. i have gotten all my friends to like the idea of having a pond. im in the process of making a pond with my friend in his yard...he has a house so once we are done digging, we will be use a quality pond liner.

so i got done excavating the new hole. looks ALOT natural. i need more rocks i dont want to use the flat stone rocks this time. im thinking pebbles. what do you think?
p.s, my fish adapted nicely, no harm done

Ask a Question