Inground containment of Iris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reno’ing a pond with lotttttttts of purple iris. They look nice when blooming but also seem unkept from previous owners. Decided to reset and needed the iris area. Had to hacksaw the ground to get it out.

It’s hardy but I’m not sure if any remaining rhizomes will make it through a new berm or I may just lay fabric before 2’ of dirt.

Anyway, I would like SOME iris again. I’m still a less than a year exp newbie.

Putting iris in a sissy screen sock or other bag would probably slow in water spread.

Any type of inground containment apparatus (pot? Sissy sock? Other??) which would be as successful to keep it localized in dirt and effective against the rhizome onslaught?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reno’ing a pond with lotttttttts of purple iris. They look nice when blooming but also seem unkept from previous owners. Decided to reset and needed the iris area. Had to hacksaw the ground to get it out.

It’s hardy but I’m not sure if any remaining rhizomes will make it through a new berm or I may just lay fabric before 2’ of dirt.

Anyway, I would like SOME iris again. I’m still a less than a year exp newbie.

Putting iris in a sissy screen sock or other bag would probably slow in water spread.

Any type of inground containment apparatus (pot? Sissy sock? Other??) which would be as successful to keep it localized in dirt and effective against the rhizome onslaught?
if you're going to do this pond thang right, you're going to have to realize that there's always going to be some work in regards to thinning, tweaking, fixing. The trick is to do it regularly. So with your iris, which are not a huge issue UNLESS you turn your back for a prolonged period of time and let them do their thing unattended, each fall, divide and dispose of a portion of the rhizomes. Should not be that hard. Generally, throw out the older ones and keep the younger more energetic pieces. If you have space/room/whatever, place them in a pot with pea gravel IN the pond proper, along the margin but in the water, with the crown of the iris just above water level. They'll then help filter the water column. This makes thinning easier and helps contain the roots. Same for any marginal pond plant. And if you ever think 'bog', you'll gain even more area/filtering ability.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think we did more upcoming on the house in the past year than the previous owners of 6 years (2nd owners, originals made pond)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Iris is notoriously invasive but a great plant for the pond. My frogs love to hide in them. Every few years I cut them back as best I can. You could use containers but make them large and plastic. The rhizomes will grow through baskets and fabric.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plastic basket would most likely need additional drainage holes and rhizomes would eventually try to sneak out? (Probably slow enough to check once a year)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
If you submerge the pot it wouldn’t need holes. Hold it down with a rock. If you plant them in a basket with holes be prepared for a nightmare trying to get it out in a few years. I’m starting to love fabric planting pots.

Ask a Question