water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Wow we could all have fun with that hole!
Where do you live?

Reaction score
Country
United States
underwater VIDEO WITH LARGE BOULDERS that could be quite the finish product I should have looked for a new home with a pool and converted.
Wow, this is exactly the experience I'm going to create! Swimming with the fish!

Reaction score
Country
United States
WOW View attachment 114813 could I have fun with your project my mind is racing big time
Thanks for the sketches. I am thinking along the same lines but doing it in stages. That hill is a chore to keep mowed. The deer use it as a trail to a small patch of woods and I love watching the wildlife.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking at this makes my wallet hurt.
My focus would be water movement and plant filtration.
Check out @addy1 's thread how she manages such a large volume of water.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/
It can be very expensive. Quotes start at about $40k and sky rocket from there for a new installation. Those huge massive boulders ain't cheap but if you have housing development in your area , or a farmer clearing his fields you can get boulders that way...cheap. A lot diyer's are coming in around $12k or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like what you are planning, this will be an interesting project, looking forward to seeing your project as it progresses.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I just wanted to add that instead of cinder blocks, I'm looking at using the ecoblox to make the deep end shallower and some sort of system to remove waste under the blox. Just thinking....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 Oh my, what a drop dead gorgeous pond after the conversion! We are thinking about moving and about a third of the homes we’ve been checking out have a pool. We don’t want a pool....but we do want a pond! I wonder what the final price tag was!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The deer use it as a trail to a small patch of woods and I love watching the wildlife.
OHHHHHHH you have deer cutting through you need to make damn sure they can't get to your liner with those hoves as they can puncture or rip and tear the liner .
ecoblox to make the deep end shallower and some sort of system to remove waste under the blox
wait till you price out that option the rocks won't look so bad. if you place an add on craigs list you may get lucky and find a contractor who needs to get rid of some rock. Another option I was looking at was the use of planting tables there polypropylene and heavy duty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OHHHHHHH you have deer cutting through you need to make damn sure they can't get to your liner with those hoves as they can puncture or rip and tear the liner .
wait till you price out that option the rocks won't look so bad. if you place an add on craigs list you may get lucky and find a contractor who needs to get rid of some rock. Another option I was looking at was the use of planting tables there polypropylene and heavy duty.
Thanks for the heads up about the deer hooves. I never considered that issue. Deer use the back hill as a trail and grazing area and I had to have a baby deer rescued from the pool earlier this summer. There are also plenty of liner eating chipmunk/squirrels too. However I did check craigslist and found lots of cheap rock and boulders. I'm excited about getting started and nervous at the same time as this will be my first pond. I've been a rabid aquarium enthusiast and gardener for years. My son suggested that I start smaller and build something between the patio and pool area first. I'm still going through designing this thing but it's nice to have the option of different pond sites. I'll keep you guys posted.
20180512_071708.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Does it still hold water.I saw where people have added to the bottom of the pond and put in a liner on top of the sand bed they made so the pond was not so deep .Not sure how water would drain out under the liner

Ask a Question