Inhabitants other than fish for pond

Reaction score
Wouldn't the snake eat the frogs and tadpoles?
Only if he was hungry. ;)

Besides, a natural pond should be a happy place, so lets not bicker and fight about who's eating who.

Seriously, in the animal world sizes maters. Big snakes will probably eat small tadpoles and frogs given the chance, but big frogs will eat small frogs, and they'd probably just as readily eat small snakes too. It all part of natures grand scheme. Just try and keep all your critters properly sized, cross your fingers and you might end up with a nice balance, but remember, everybody has to eat once in a while, so put a few extras in there just in case. :p

Reaction score
Sorry, no snakes.
Is big Lou afraid of little snakes? LOL how about a few spiders?

I had clams and crayfish and a salamander in my old pond, but crayfish hide so well they might as well not be there, and clams are about as exciting to watch as rocks, but I guess if you have them in there somewhere you have bragging rights when visitors ask about your pond. The salamander probably left, I don't know, never saw him again.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Trapdoor snails, newts? BTW, I doubt a crayfish will do damage to a 45 mil liner. But for a small wildlife pond, If possible local dwarf species that are found in small streams or creeks locally will usually will do better than the new color morphs that are found in petstores or the big read ones like we eat down here. Those all get big and can't take a fish or two if they so desire. The Blue and white ones that are found in petstores are the same kind as the ones they sell to eat. I would go find a local water way in my area and watch and see what shows up? Local animals for a wildlife pond would probably do far better than non-native critters. Just be sure and follow any WLFD guidlines. Some critters are protected so you may want to check and see for your area.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Is big Lou afraid of little snakes? LOL how about a few spiders?

I had clams and crayfish and a salamander in my old pond, but crayfish hide so well they might as well not be there, and clams are about as exciting to watch as rocks, but I guess if you have them in there somewhere you have bragging rights when visitors ask about your pond. The salamander probably left, I don't know, never saw him again.

Big Lou was raised very near the beautiful Alabama River Swamps. I've encountered more snakes in my lifetime than most. While fishing way back when I cast my lure from the boat right to the lakes shoreline hoping to get a big mouth bass. Instead, a mammoth cotton month moccasin struck my lure the raised up about a foot or so in the water! I quickly cut the line. In addition to the US my profession has carried me to Central America, the Middle East and other desert regions. My time in those areas found me face to face with many creatures. The worst being snakes. Yes, you could say I have phobia about snakes both large and small.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BIG Lou is afraid of snakes??? LOL Mucky I missed that on the first read through. Here I am down here finding and releasing snakes in our pond area. Released two baby spotted kingsnakes a baby chain king, and two adult Dekalb snakes in the rocks this week. We found them in the woods by the river and know they are getting ready to start finding hibernation places. I figure they will be safe in the rocks and mulch around the pond. The little Dekalbs are cool, they are only reach 6-7" long and eat termites! Plain little brown guys with a black mask. They never try to bite and you rarely ever see them unless digging where earth worms would be found. I've been trying to keep as many of these little guys around as I could possibly find. Hopefully the kingsnakes will stay around and possibly keep a stray poisonous snake away. They put off s scent that most venomous snakes try to avoid, If not the king snake may eat them. Two really good guys to have near a wildlife pond. For those that aren't scared of creepy things in the dark. Who Whooooo

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Trapdoor snails, newts? BTW, I doubt a crayfish will do damage to a 45 mil liner. But for a small wildlife pond, If possible local dwarf species that are found in small streams or creeks locally will usually will do better than the new color morphs that are found in petstores or the big read ones like we eat down here. Those all get big and can't take a fish or two if they so desire. The Blue and white ones that are found in petstores are the same kind as the ones they sell to eat. I would go find a local water way in my area and watch and see what shows up? Local animals for a wildlife pond would probably do far better than non-native critters. Just be sure and follow any WLFD guidlines. Some critters are protected so you may want to check and see for your area.

I think I once told you that my wife is from Eunice in St. Landry Parish. I've been on a numer of back breaking crawfish harvests for fun. I agree that the smaller variety would do better.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh yea, you did tell me that. That's what I'm scared of, little snakes don't bother me a bit, in fact, most wildlife/ animal life doesn't. It's my fiesty wife and ex-wife that scare me the most. That and politicians, But we will leave that discussion for another day. LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

When I was but a wee boy we lived on a two story house boat part of the summer. My dad would take way back in the wood to a Dead Lake. During one of those excursions in the lake he rowed us into the crystal clear shallows. To my amazement the bottom was covered in huge beautiful blue crawfish. That was some sight to behold.

Ask a Question