Inherited a pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I've just bought a new house and have inherited a pond with about 30 fish (goldfish?) in it.

Having never had an interest I now quite fancy sorting it out and would appreciate some advice. Pond is approx 6 x 5 m overall dimensions and has a filter and pump installed. I reckon it's a couple of feet deep, however it's pretty murky so unsure. It looks like it has been neglected for a while as filter and pump were not working. I've changed the pump and pipes for new, and have replaced everything in the filter, however the UV tube isn't working so I suspect it needs new electrics. There were no obvious signs of plants, however I've fished out some old dead ones and it's now looking bare.

A friend said that I needed to clean it pronto as there was a lot of debris etc in the bottom. I've got a net to clean out the bottom of the pond and I'm pulling out nets and nets full of sludge. I've also done a water test and it is coming up as 100-250 NO3, recommending a water change.

So I've read that it isn't good to fully empty the pond, however I'm inclined to do it. It would also help me to understand how deep it is for planting stuff. The downside is that it'll take approx 48 hours to fill so the fish would be in a small paddling pool til then.

Couple of questions if anyone could advise?

1) Is emptying the whole pond the best idea in this situation?

2) What basic plants should I buy for the pond?

Any help appreciated!

David

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pond 1.jpg
Pond 3.jpg
Pond 5.jpg
Old plant.jpg
Sludge.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1643825926366.gif
@David in Northumberland

Fish will not be happy if you change out all that old water as they are accustomed to it and have been alive in there for a long time. Do as @Dimelius says, only do a partial change and slowly add clean while slowly pumping out old water and adding the dechlor if city water containing chlorine and or chloromine. You will have to keep using your net to get out the crud from the bottom. Use that filter and keep it running to help suck up yuck too as you net stuff out. Leave it running always as this will be what continually keeps your water clean. Eventually add some nice plants to keep sucking up nutrients in the water made by the fish poo.
I see you have room for a nice bog that others will let you know about as they come see your post.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

That plant is a lily that could use dividing. Get rid of the old tubers, plant the growth tips. I plant mine in oil pans with kitty litter.

Very nice looking pond btw, I vote for bog filtration, the only way I filter my ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome. Your pond is beautiful and has great potential. I echo the good advice above. Send us more pictures when the pond (and bog) are moving along.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
YOU have a nice slope behind the pond it's hard to tell just how steep or wide it is but i would look into doing something like this.
Build a bog up at the fence and have a nice water fall and a stream coming back down into the pond.
20220204-005523[7649].jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone for your advice! I'll empty a third and refill + dechlorinate. I'll keep pulling the sludge out then put some new plants in. I've also noticed a heron has started loitering now that I've cleared a little of the crud the fish were hiding behind - hopefully the fish are ok!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck with the heron, my only protection from them is a wide weave net hung about 3ish feet over the water. They will fish until the pond is empty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I think that may have happened already, although they just be out of sight - the water is still very turbid as I’ve been lifting the ooze out the bottom.

Ask a Question