Inherited Pond - Clueless!

Reaction score
Sorry for a simple question, but what does “cycle” mean?

Pond Cycle or Nitrogen cycle as its otherwise called is the process the water in your pond will undergo as it "stabilizes" - its typically started by ammonia (comes from fish, frogs etc.) that is converted by bacteria to nitrites that are then converted to nitrates. Plants like nitrates and consume those and the cycle once established will be mostly self sustaining...
You typically want "0" Ammonia, "0" Nitrite and close to "0" nitrate to have a healthy ecosystem in your pond.

If you feed your fish too much, you will get more ammonia, which means you need more bacteria (good type) in your filters to help with converting that and you need more filtration in the form of plants etc.

That's my 30s explanation.

Here is the first link i found when i searched with Bing:

and a quick YT video also:

I am sure others on here can help with more info also :) but if you understand this, you can get a pond that is balanced and your fish will be happier.

PS - i ask the silly questions all the time - it's better to ask i have always found :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I echo everything the big Texan from Houston has been saying. I should have suggested you keep the ribbon and put some back as a bacteria source, but it shouldn't be long before you have your own. The thing with the cycle is that the bacteria always lag/follow the nutrients (ammonia, nitrites) and so if you go too fast, the bacteria can't replicate fast enough to keep your fish safe. So, that's why you don't over feed. I don't remember where you're located but if the temps are still near 50 deg (water temps), you don't need to feed them at all and even then, sparingly or every third day possibly. They'll do fine until you ease the system back into shape.

It is a problem this time of year re plants but you can find some water cress at the food stores and use that, temporarily. It should root in the water. I'd make/buy some sort of net and float the batch, letting the roots develop and help clean your water column. Thing is, the plants are only going to take up the third nutrient, nitrates, which HAS to be converted from nitrites (a denitrifying bacteria's job) and that comes from the ammonia (which a different denitrifying bacteria handles). Other plants you can use around the edges, with roots in the water are creeping jenny, canna, taro, yellow flag iris, blue flag iris, forgetmenots (mine are both in the water floating as well as along the shoreline and doing their thing) and marsh marigold. If you look online, you should be able to get some of these now and get them into your system while you wait for the weather to warm for more hyacinths and water lettuce. I keep the last two in my basement, growing there so I can put them as soon as possible into my pond. My weather has turned wintery here again, so it'll be a while. Now, some of the above plant examples are in my bog and along the pond edge doing exactly what we're suggesting you do; helping maintain the cycle.

Something else you can consider; I put a layer of pea gravel on my pond bottom, which you could also do, as it will increase the surface area for the bacteria colonization. I'd not put it more than a thin layer. I did it to my pond when I got koi as they like to root around looking for food on the bottom and I figured it would keep them away from the lilies more.

If you have ANY part of your old lily tuber, you can probably save it. They're very hardy. Otherwise, keep in mind water lilies are not the best for filtering the water column and they like a lot of fertilizer. But they do add shade which helps in the summer heat.

Keep us appraised to how your pond is doing! And don't get discouraged if you do get green water--that's just algae helping to save your fish! After you get the other plants, the free floating algae will eventually be out-competed. DO keep the algae growth on the sides of your pond and on anything submerged; the fish will nibble on it and it too will help keep your cycle on track.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have indeed seen ponds without mechanical filtration, pump or waterfall. They do tend to be larger bodies of water, which are easier to sustain once they are in balance. And they do often go through some extensive "green" periods during spring or really hot weather. The fish don't mind it, but the humans often don't find it desirable!
The skeeters looooove um

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond guy says one to two koi per 200 gallons ... that doesn't even work in a perfectly balanced pond. i don't trust any of these companies as all they want is to sell sell sell. and the pond guy is always number one in any search on you tube or google . I have bought from many companies online but can't say the pond guy ever got any of my business.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I agree with what everyone here has said, and can't add any more to it other than when the water turns green, don't panic. Just let nature take it's course. As to the bog size, I have a pond of about 3000 gallons, and the bog is a plastic 55 gallon barrel cut in half. Water has been clear, and clean since I installed it, and it got established.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond Cycle or Nitrogen cycle as its otherwise called is the process the water in your pond will undergo as it "stabilizes" - its typically started by ammonia (comes from fish, frogs etc.) that is converted by bacteria to nitrites that are then converted to nitrates. Plants like nitrates and consume those and the cycle once established will be mostly self sustaining...
You typically want "0" Ammonia, "0" Nitrite and close to "0" nitrate to have a healthy ecosystem in your pond.

If you feed your fish too much, you will get more ammonia, which means you need more bacteria (good type) in your filters to help with converting that and you need more filtration in the form of plants etc.

That's my 30s explanation.

Here is the first link i found when i searched with Bing:

and a quick YT video also:

I am sure others on here can help with more info also :) but if you understand this, you can get a pond that is balanced and your fish will be happier.

PS - i ask the silly questions all the time - it's better to ask i have always found :)
Thanks for the information. So, I'm having an issue with one of my fish (my biggest goldfish!), but it actually started prior to the big cleanout - so I know it's not caused by that. Basically, around 3 weeks ago (over Easter weekend while we were away), our pump broke and the fish were without aerated water for about 2-3 days. We came back from the weekend away and "Big Guy" (our loving name for him) was floating on his side. I thought he passed on, due to low O2, but he was still alive. (Btw, this is what caused us to start the big cleanout in the first place.) So, now it's been 3 weeks and he continues to be sick more often than not. Most days, he is at the bottom of the pond, just lying on his side and will only move and swim around if I nudge him a bit. Then, every few days, he'll seem to recover & I think he's on the mend. I'm not sure how many iterations he can go through of this. A quick google search seems to indicate 'swim bladder' disease - I'm assuming initiated by the lack of aeration when our pump broke. Is it possible for him to recover on his own? What is the best course of action now?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you certain that your pond provides enough 02 for all your fish ?

The waters are still cool at least they are here in new england it may be he's just not fully awake yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you certain that your pond provides enough 02 for all your fish ?

The waters are still cool at least they are here in new england it may be he's just not fully awake yet.
He was fine & swimming around normal before the pump broke. And the other fish are ok. He’s lying on his side & can’t stay straight up & down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the "ribbon"?
I love my no maintenance bog and my water is crystal clear.
Water gets pumped through a PVC pipe that's covered with 12 inches of pea gravel. The PVC pipe has slits cut in it. I made my slits every 1-1/2" apart. The water rises up through the gravel and returns to the pond.
Plants are grown directly in the gravel, no pots.
I made my first post today about my inherited ponds and I’m thinking a bog might be the way to go and your explanation makes perfect sense. Do you have a photo of what it looks like? I’m very much a visual learner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I made my first post today about my inherited ponds and I’m thinking a bog might be the way to go and your explanation makes perfect sense. Do you have a photo of what it looks like? I’m very much a visual learner!
Here you go...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a long thread about building bogs. Mine is simple just pvc pipes pea gravel and plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a long thread about building bogs. Mine is simple just pvc pipes pea gravel and plants.

I wanted to say thanks for all the info posted for my big build. And yup it’s been a year but I have been working on it as time and life allows. I dug out the bog last fall and laid the liner last week. I am determined but slow… I am going to cut the piping and get it configured in the next couple of days. I have a few pictures and would appreciate it if I could get confirmation that I’m on a good track. I plan on laying pipe in a large rectangle with all the proper hookups. Or should I use a single pipe. The bog is roughly 5’ x3’ and will overflow into the pond.
Thanks again for any help. I just want to be sure I’m doing this right!!

Attachments

• CD353827-0A10-4627-BE25-851BDB74ADB6.jpeg
    CD353827-0A10-4627-BE25-851BDB74ADB6.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 921E0ADC-1777-4965-8E44-B9B474B3C6A4.jpeg
    921E0ADC-1777-4965-8E44-B9B474B3C6A4.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 15
  • B76C7270-9761-48E4-972F-53EF6E6FD716.jpeg
    B76C7270-9761-48E4-972F-53EF6E6FD716.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 13

Ask a Question