Inherited Pond Maintenance

Reaction score
G'Day. I needed to get brought up to speed. I have inherited the maintenance of a pond here at work and need to learn how to keep it looking nice.

I'm guessing it is approx. 300 gallons, probably sees 70% -75% shade, has a waterfall at one end and the pump at the opposite end. No real filter other than a net to trap leaves and the like in the sump where the pump is. No plants but the bottom is covered with what I will call small river rock (1/2 inch - 1 inch).

The dimensions are something like 15ft x 20ft x 12-18 inches in the center with a gradual slope up to 3 inches deep at the edge.

I don't have a need to keep fish or plants in it but just need to keep it clean and looking nice.

I have done a little research and it seems like a colorant (which contains acid?) might help. I've also seen where barley straw would be helpful, too. And maybe pond bacteria could be added.

My problem though is all the stones in the bottom have accumulated all sorts of organic sediment over the winter and I'm afraid all that organic material will feed the algae growth that I am seeing pop up now that it is getting warmer.

I don't have any plans on keeping fish or plants in it unless that would help keep it clean.

I do see that some wildlife (ie squirrels, birds, maybe deer) are drinking the water so I don't want to continue dumping chlorine or algaecides in it if I don't have to. And cleaning the stones and the bottom of the pond/pool is not an option either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That gunk at the bottom is not going to clean itself. Drain the pond, Hire a cheap laborer to remove the rocks, and clean it with bleach then you can do whatever you want to keep it clean, but do not put the rocks back in.

I see you have a science background, this should be a no brainer.

Reaction score
based on those measurements, you mean 3000 gallons--not 300, right?

The first thing if I would do if I were you is remove all that stone on the bottom. It is a nightmare in keeping water clean and you will never get out from under with regard to maintance. Since there are no fish in the pond, you could just drain the pond and remove all the stone and basically start fresh.

Then you could refill, get a proper filter, put plants in, etc. I guarantee you after all tha twork you will want to see a few goldfish in there. ;-) That's how it all begins....

Reaction score
OK. I guess I was way off on my estimate of volume. I took a few measurements and found it wasn't more than 10 inches deep at the lowest point. So I found an equation for estimating volume. Since everything else was in feet measurements I just used 12 inches (1 foot) in the equation rather than 10 inches for depth and came out with 1000 gallons.

I'll talk with maintenance and see if they would be willing to drain it again and remove the stones. Maybe I can explain that we won't have to do that much to maintain it after we remove the stones. Incidentally, maintenance does drain the pond every fall before winter and every spring to remove the stagnant water and leaves,etc.

And you also mentioned a better filter. What type of filter are you recommending? Given the state of the economy I don't know if I could ask the building management company to spring for a new filter if it would cost too much.

Once I get to the point where the stones are removed and the bottom cleaned am I home free?

Or do I need to get fish and plants to keep it clean? If you put fish and plants in what would I do with them in the winter? Its not deep enough to support fish over the winter with 10 inches is it?

I'm guessing I would still need to get the barley straw?

Ask a Question