Inherited pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently inherited a circular pond measuring 156" wide x 40" deep. The pond was full of rounded rocks, no fish or plants and has a waterfall, no filtration system. Wanted to convert to a koi pond with plants. Long story short, removed the rocks, alot of sludge, filled the pond and ran the pump for the waterfall. 2 weeks into the project tested the water ph is 8.0, ammonia level is 2.0, nitrite at .5 and phosphate at .25. From what i have read the ammonia level is at a toxic level. Added some Muck Off tablets thinking it would help to clear some of the remaining sludge. Water temp is currently 54.6 degrees. Have plants ordered, 2 lilies, water hyacinth, few bunches hornwort, water lettuce and some anacharis. What should i be doing or not doing to get the pond water correctly balanced?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! It sounds like your pond is around 3000 gallons. A few questions: where do you live? What kind of filtration do you have (what is hooked up to the waterfall)? What is the source of your water and have you tested your source water? Pictures would help.

The first thing you should do is learn as much as possible about the nitrogen cycle — number 1 priority! Be sure you will have a filter system adequate for koi — koi make lots of waste. Water quality issues are where most new ponders have problems — clear water does not mean healthy water. I would not add any more chemicals — the only chemical you need to worry about is a dechlorinator.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1650558809193.gif
@Rick692

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I would say you are on a fairly good track. As Mmathis said, the nitrogen cycle is the most important thing here in preparing your pond for fish. All organic matter starts by decaying into ammonia, which needs to be converted by bacteria into nitrites and then nitrates, and later uptaken by platns or something else. At this point I would simply wait for the ammonia to drop down to 0, and then you should be good to start slowly stocking the pond.

Another important thing to take into consideration is filtration, you say this pond has none, and that is a bit of an issue. There are 3 main types of filtration we look for. Mechanical, which pulls out muck an debris. This could simply be a prefilter for your pump, or some filter mats in a skimmer box. Biological, this filtration takes the ammonia and turns it into a much safer form of waste ( nitrates ). Biological will be in your pond in some capacity, it is simply bacteria, but if you are planning on keeping high waste fish like koi then you need to supplement it. This could be done through a upflow wetland filter or similar. And the final form is waste removal. The easiest and prettiest way to do this in a pond is plants! you already ordered some which is a great start on that end.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently inherited a circular pond measuring 156" wide x 40" deep. The pond was full of rounded rocks, no fish or plants and has a waterfall, no filtration system. Wanted to convert to a koi pond with plants. Long story short, removed the rocks, alot of sludge, filled the pond and ran the pump for the waterfall. 2 weeks into the project tested the water ph is 8.0, ammonia level is 2.0, nitrite at .5 and phosphate at .25. From what i have read the ammonia level is at a toxic level. Added some Muck Off tablets thinking it would help to clear some of the remaining sludge. Water temp is currently 54.6 degrees. Have plants ordered, 2 lilies, water hyacinth, few bunches hornwort, water lettuce and some anacharis. What should i be doing or not doing to get the pond water correctly balanced?

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you. We are in midwest St Louis,MO area attached is a picture of the pond. We have city water provided through Illinois American Water. I have added a conditoner but have not tested the city water. I have added some plants and the pond has a box that the pump for the waterfall sits in. Not sure if that was a filter at one point. The area that feeds the waterfall may have been a bog at one point. Suggestions what should happen next would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Resized_20220305_162209.jpg
    Resized_20220305_162209.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 19

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice looking pond! It will have to have a filter if you are going to have fish. I would go w/some type of goldfish instead of koi as they need lots of room. Shubunkin goldfish are a pretty colorful type that kinda look like koi only smaller.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would get a test kit , check the water out.

Show a better picture of the waterfall possible bog area. That is a nice looking pond

Ask a Question