Inherited pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just moved house and inherited a fairly large pond covered in matted duckweed. i have cleared about 60% to maintain coverage. my question is, my pond is fairly full of sludge and leaves, do i need to do anything about sludge. there are at the moment plenty of newts, tadpole and other small insect living in pond sao can assume its fairly healthy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
doggie.gif
@ian582
I would wait to do any sludge cleaning till the tadpoles and such turn into adult whatever's, otherwise they will be goner's. Any fish in there? Is there a filter? Maybe show us photo's of the pond. Sounds like the creatures love it and are doing well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there are no fish its pretty natural, there is a filter system running which i clean fairly regularly. would it be a good idea to introduce something to oxiginate the pond

Attachments

• 20230515_152811.jpg
    20230515_152811.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 19

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
there are no fish its pretty natural, there is a filter system running which i clean fairly regularly. would it be a good idea to introduce something to oxiginate the pond
Ok then I think you could just leave it alone and keep on w/the filter and if you want to you could add an aerator but not sure you need one. You have lots of good plants sucking up the excess nutrients. How many plants are in your pond tho? Looks like most are just around the upper outside edge but can't tell. If you only have very few in the pond I would add more for sucking up more nutritional muck inside the pond.

Ask a Question