Injured bullfrog tadpole

Reaction score
First of all, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on clearing up our green pond. We finally went with the uv light and our pond has been gorgeous ever since. We have a beautiful yellow lilly blooming right now and everything else is doing very well.

Currently, we have three tadpoles, one of which has back legs. Unfortunately, the other night we noticed that his left back leg is severely damaged and bone is showing, toes are gone and it is obvious that he will never hop correctly if he survives. We've pretty much decided to let nature take it's course and see what happens but I thought I'd put it out there and see what you all thought. We are in the city and it is a backyard pond so he has nowhere to go and really no predators so, if he makes it, he is relatively safe. Thanks!

Laura :goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would do the same, wait and see how it does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure but I think frogs and other amphibians can re-grow injured limbs so it shouldnt be a problem provided he grows into adulthood.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. Didn't see him at all today but that isn't entirely unusual. Did some research and it was ambiguous at best. Some sites said a tadpole would only regrow its tail others said legs would regenerate. Hopefully he won't get an infection and will continue to grow.

Laura

Ask a Question