injured fish.....

Reaction score
I had I believe a hawk attack on my fish a week ago and thought 1 of them got snatched but come to find out he is still there, but injured , cant really get a good look at him, has been hiding ever since and not eating, and pond is 4 ft deep cant see bottom, only know is is there because I scared it up to surface with net, but too hard to catch, my question is should I leave it be and see if it recovers ? will treating pond with a little salt help? or try to catch and treat in a separate container? any advice would be great thanks

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
How big was the hawk?

I think the first step is to look at the wound in order to determine what steps to take. Can you tempt him to the surface with food? Salt is an irritant, it forces the fish to film up, I don't think you can add enough salt to clean an infected wound. There is a biofilm thing you can buy and brush on the wound to seal it, but the first step would still be to catch him to see what we are dealing with. If the attack was a week ago, I think you should try and do this soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have to agree with John on this, treat the fishes wounds first , I mean he's survived an attack by a hawk which means he leads a charmed live .
But I wuld also think along the lines of netting your pond to detare the hawk from trying to snak on your fish again.
Buy some probolis from your local health food store clean up the wound best you can then spray the propolis directly into the wounded area.
Or to be double sure dab malachite green on the wound then spray withh propolis .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I did just manage to catch the fish and take a look at him, seems to have a puncture wound near dorsal fin but other than that he has no problem swimming , just has not eaten yet did put him back in pond for now but I plan on trying that bio-bandage on wound ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try adding a little garlic to the food that may help kick start him eating again

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question