injured koi advice?

Reaction score
Hi, I am in a terrible state at the moment which led to some googling and thus i found this site. Recently a close friend of mine passed away after battling leukemia for a year. He had an approx 1000 gal koi pond full of about 20 koi which he loved dearly. I have been finding adoptive homes for these beautiful fish as my own pond is too small for most of them except the few young ones. More than anything I want the fish to go to folks who will love and care for them well. I`ve had some wonderful people come by and net a few fish to take home. Today, someone who was reccomended by a friend came to get some fish. I didnt like the look of the net he brought but didnt think too much of it until he caught a fish or two. When i looked into his bucket he placed the fish in I noticed damage and immediately knew it was due to the net. It was not made of soft netting but was like the type of net you would use when on a fishing boat, wide mesh nylon type. I dont understand how someone who has a 3000 gal koi pond doesnt know such a net can damage delicate scales when a fish is flopping around in it. One fish lost an inch around patch of scales and another tore his lip up pretty bad. I am devastated over the loss of my friend and tonight I cant stop thinking about those poor fish. I am very upset about this and hoping someone here can ease my mind. Any advice is greatly appreciated :) Thank you-Lily

Ask a Question