Injured koi or something else?

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I just noticed last night that two of my koi have what looks like a couple scales missing and one has a white mark on the front of the top fin where it meets the body. They just spawned a few days ago and it looked pretty rough by our rocks but I'm also a little paranoid because my wife bought some hyacinths while I was gone a few weeks ago and forgot to rinse them before adding them to the pond.

I could only get a decent pic of one but it's the dark yellow and black one with the spot on it's fin and two spots on the side.

20130613_142056.jpg 20130613_141944.jpg

And just a small bit of the many eggs.. 20130611_121341.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry cant make them out, bag the koi and take up close shots please

rgrds

Dave

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I'll see if I can talk my wife into helping me try to catch one later today. I'm thinking they are injuries from spawning in the rocks, once the pond was shaded better and the reflection on the water was gone and I could see them a little better and the marks are all on the upper part of their bodies.

If they are injuries is there anything I should do? They don't look real serious, like scales missing with just two spots on one koi and three on the other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nines out of ten with koi they cure themselves of damage provided the pond has no preditors who are looking for a chink in their armour.
You could dab using a cotton bud ,a little Acriflavin on the wound or even Malachite green.
You can then finish this off finish this off with some propolis spray and you shouldnt have a problem , keep good eye on the damage though as they can and do become infected, propolis is what bee's produce and is by produce which keeps their hives happy and disinfected,
You can buy it in spray and liquid form in a health food shop , the liquid you can add to your pellets and it is exremely good for your koi .

rgrds

Dave

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thanks Dave I appreciate it, definitely never heard of the propolis before! They look much better now, one is almost healed already so I think everything is fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Neo for your information propolis comes in two forms spray bottle and liquid never buy from a dealer they hike the price hence the health food stores .
We use the spray on wounds and the liquid on pellets .
Propolis is what keeps bee hives healthy you can take it yourself for sore throats we use it all the time the health food stores are the best place to buy it .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question