Injuries koi, need help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 5 year old koi that just recently appeared to loose a scale but then all the other scales around it in a circle, are sticking up. I started give it salt baths and melafix medicine to treat it. Its been day 4 but I'm not seeing any progress. I also have another koi that is 1 year old that has swollen top lip. Please help, thanks!! I have been giving both salt baths and treating with medicine.

Attachments

• Snapchat-330807437.jpg
    Snapchat-330807437.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Snapchat-399345191.jpg
    Snapchat-399345191.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Snapchat-1912133257.jpg
    Snapchat-1912133257.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapchat-193120594.jpg
    Snapchat-193120594.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapchat-880455569.jpg
    Snapchat-880455569.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Snapchat-1063082861.jpg
    Snapchat-1063082861.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 23

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jeronheiser Hello and welcome! Please give us some information about your pond:
  • How many gallons
  • how many (total) fish and their sizes
  • how long has the pond been up and running
  • what kind of filtration
  • have you recently added new fish
  • what are the results of your water tests (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH
  • what “medicine” are you using to treat it
  • do you have any predators that visit the pond (birds, raccoons, etc.)
  • are there sharp or very hard surfaces (such as rocks or decorations) that the fish could have scraped on
We can give you better help If we have more information.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1646520684391.gif
@Jeronheiser
I don't know much about koi disease or if it might be an injury so hope others will help out here.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
The top fin on one of the koi also appears affected, is this true or is it just the picture making it look that way?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, thanks for being here! It's a 2000 gallon pond with 5 koi. The biggest koi is 24", the second 24" butterfly, third 21", fourth 11", fifth 11". The pond has been up for a year now, it uses mechanical filtration with a built in uv sterilizer which I turned off for the medicine. No new fish for months, using melafix and there was a sharp object which. I believe hurt the koi. I put tape over it. No predators.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The top fin i thought was healing, I believe he injuried it from flashing. But its been like 3 weeks and hasn't healed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Have you tested your water? If not, you should do so asap, using a liquid test kit (not strips) Having perfect water parameters is the first step in treating any sort of illness or injury. Also, where are you located & what is your water temp? If the water is cold the fish's immune system isn't going to be operating well...

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is heated and constanly at 76 degrees. I have it enclosed. I have test strips that I bought online that are coming in today. Im using well water too.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Test strips are fine for 1-2 tests after you open them, but for koi I would recommend more accurate drop kits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What are your water test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate pH and KH? Fish need good water to be able to heal.

These look like infection to me. You need an antibiotic. The one with the open would can be treated topically. Catch it and dry the would as much as possible and apply some triple antibiotic ointment. It will be hard to get it to stick. It doesn't have to stay on long. You can also use iodine.

You said one fish was flashing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That might explain it!

Do you have Prime or Safe (same thing but in powdered form) on hand? It will bind the ammonia and keep the fish from being exposed to the ammonia for 48 hours. It would need to be dosed every 48 hours until the ammonia is under control.

What is the pH?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont have any other medicines, would doing a 100% water change be able to help and then maybe adding quick start? I have a concrete pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are you absolutely certain that's an accurate *ammonia* test? The blue color of your results isn't in line with ANY ammonia results listed on my test. ?????????????

And, NO - no matter what the level of nasty stuff in your pond, never do a 100% water change. Fish can adapt to a wide range of conditions, but rapid & abrupt water parameter changes will do way more harm than good. In most instances. I really hope you're able to get things sorted & your fish are OK.

Ask a Question