Injury/Illness?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what this is on the side of a koi I just received? I've had him for 2 days. Yesterday I noticed loose/flipped up scales on both sides of his body. Im not sure if they were there when I put him in the pond or not.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I just removed him and put him in the only tank I have (20 gallons and clearly not ideal).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The fact they're on both sides, leads me to believe it's just how he / she, looks. A 20 gallon tank for a koi, isn't large enough for quarantine, which is usually recommended for new fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This is a closer view of what looks like an injury. I know the tank it's been in for the last hour is far too small but I don't have a quarantine tank (clearly something I need to invest in) and didn't want to risk my other fish getting sick if it's something contagious. I would love to rule out an injury or illness and put him back in the pond but wanted to run it by you all before I do that. You all have much more experience than I do!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    276.8 KB · Views: 240
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I can't tell, I see the redness, just not sure if it's the beginnings of an ulcer / infection, or part of it's coloration.

Any chance you could get a livestock tank at someplace like Tractor Supply? I've also seen folks use Intex swimming pools, not sure how available they are at this time of year, but maybe online?

I think you're doing the right thing, separating it from your other fish and watching it carefully.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Be sure you are changing the water frequently! Very clean water is important. I agree with @Tula about finding a larger "tank." Where do you live? Do you have a Tractor Supply or other store that sells livestock equipment? The stock tanks work very well for QT tanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what this is on the side of a koi I just received? I've had him for 2 days. Yesterday I noticed loose/flipped up scales on both sides of his body. Im not sure if they were there when I put him in the pond or not.
@Ollieman0916 I have one rule and that is QTing every fish we buy before they go into our pond , this rule has stood me well for the last 30 years in the hobby ..
It's just not worth the risk of intoducing something into your pond that can and may cause harm even death to your established collection of fish .
QT it treat it for its injury's "if any and 6 weeks later if all is well release it into your pond safe in the knowlege youve done your best for both .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Meyer Jordan It may well havecome about by the koi being roughly netted at some stage,during its journey to @Ollieman0916 home hence the damage to the scales on this koi .
As long as the damage is only the missing scales I wouldnt worry too much about the damage as the scales will gradually grow back .
Again .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan It may well havecome about by the koi being roughly netted at some stage,during its journey to @Ollieman0916 home hence the damage to the scales on this koi .
As long as the damage is only the missing scales I wouldnt worry too much about the damage as the scales will gradually grow back .
Again .

Dave
This is true. I was thinking of Ollieman0916 filing a claim.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This is true. I was thinking of Ollieman0916 filing a claim.

I'm not sure if Ollieman0916 can even claim for damages as accidents can and often do occur during transit Meyer.
Most of the outlets we know have a returns policy in place but only with fish that die within 24 hours of purchase , however it may well be dependant on the acctual purchase cost of the koi when he first bought it i;e if it was worth only a few dollars then it wouldnt be worth trying to file a claim .
However as needs be should the purchase price of the koi was much higher than this, then obviously it would be worth putting a claim in .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A claim can be filed against the carrier for any damages that occur during shipment. There is a window of time that a claim must be made. After that period of time has expired, no claims are valid.

Ask a Question