would this work?

17103364_1302141569865566_1566896902474342397_n.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would not trust a check valve to hold water in the line for any length of time and that pump you pictured will become damaged if it's running without water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would not trust a check valve to hold water in the line for any length of time and that pump you pictured will become damaged if it's running without water.

my interest in the check valve is for the spring and fall when i would like to run the watercourse during the day, but turn it off at night if the temps are going to drop so as not to supercool the pond. so the length of time would be generally 12 hours or less i would like the check valve to hold water.

why aren't you confident of check valves in this situation?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
my interest in the check valve is for the spring and fall when i would like to run the watercourse during the day, but turn it off at night if the temps are going to drop so as not to supercool the pond. so the length of time would be generally 12 hours or less i would like the check valve to hold water.

why aren't you confident of check valves in this situation?

Check valves are ok for a brief power outage and to prevent a sudden rush of water back through the intake, but my experience is that over time they lose their seal because of debris getting caught in the flap mechanism.
You're not going to drop your pond temperature any significant degree by keeping the water running.
Your pond temperature will remain within tolerable levels as long as you keep the appropriate specie of fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Biofilm grows on all submerged surfaces even check valves. When the water is flowing biofilm will colonize the valve seat. This will corrupt any seal the check valve may have when the water flow stops. The ensuing backflow may be small but it will occur. Over a period of hours this can become a problem in maintaining prime to a pump.

Reaction score
Other issues aside...that appears to a submersible, a name that seems to imply an option on being submerged or not. But they actually have, or should, be submerged to cool the motor. Inline (external) pumps are air cooled while submersibles are sealed, no air flow, no heat sinks. How long the pump would run outside of water is hard to say, hours, days, maybe weeks. But it would likely not be very long.

Getting an air tight seal on a hose for these types of things is very difficult. When submerged that isn't needed.

Ask a Question