Insecticide?

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by bagsmom, Oct 20, 2016.

1. bagsmom

bagsmom

Hey there! My Dad is all excited about me building a pond, so he has been watching a bunch of youtube videos and such. He said he saw somewhere that you should really put down a good insecticide underneath the underlayment to discourage fire ants and whatnot from crawling under and tunneling around under the pond.

This scares me a little. I'd think you would have to be very very very careful to not get any of it on your shoes or up on the water side of the liner.

Thoughts?

bagsmom, Oct 20, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. bagsmom

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Haven't heard anything like that.....ever. @sissy (I think it was?) put down something to kill grubs (to get rid of critters that burrow to eat the grubs), but it's not an insecticide.

Mmathis, Oct 21, 2016
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. bagsmom

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Any insecticide that is available without a license that is applied under the liner will lose effectiveness in a short period of time. They are formulated to have a short half-life. Use a 6 oz non-woven geotextile underlayment (typical pond underlayment). This will deter any possible insect damage.

Meyer Jordan, Oct 21, 2016
    sissy and bagsmom like this.
  4. bagsmom

sissy sissy

It won't hurt but ants usually don't go to deep but anything that eats bugs can be a problem to your liner .I had moles chew my liner and when I rebuilt I put down container after container of milky spore .It kills grubs so hopefully it will get rid of the moles .Most insecticides only work a short time .I put roofing felt under my liner and underlayment .I put it up the sides also .Cheap to buy and easy to put in .I used 60lb roofing felt and 15 lb roofing felt .Milky spore spreads and spreads as it grows little spores that effect soft grubs and eats them up .I had to put the milky spore all over my property because of moles and there tunnels .I have not seen a tunnel since .

sissy, Oct 21, 2016
    bagsmom likes this.
  5. bagsmom

bagsmom

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I have only ever found grubs in the nice upper layer of good soil. The pond is way down in the concrete-like red clay and quartz and such. I'm guessing that grubs would rather be in my grass and flower beds. But chipmunks might decide they want a poolside view and might tunnel a house. I wonder if the roofing felt would be enough of a deterrent there. My neighbor has started letting her cats out and they are chipmunk assassins. Maybe they will convince the chipmunks to move to a safer zip code.

bagsmom, Oct 21, 2016
  6. bagsmom

sissy sissy

I have red clay and they chewed several holes about 6 to 8 inch's deep down inside the pond and that was well below the water line in my pond .The water line starts 5 inch's below the top of the pond .Roofing felt it pretty heavy when you get the thicker stuff .My builder left this behind and not sure why since my roof has ice and water shield under it .I know I was here when the ice and water shield went up .I put 2 layers of 60 lb. half way up the sides and then used the 15 lb felt over it up to the top in 2 layers .I had put milky spore all over before that but did not do the whole front yard .I only did the bottom half .Milky spore was hard to get hold of around here ,but finally lowes starting getting it in .I bought lots of it to finish the yard since The side of the pond after the stray dog got in my pond . 100_8573.JPG

sissy, Oct 21, 2016
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements