Inside look of an impressive fish farm

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All aspects of Aquaculture technology have seen major advances in the last few years. This is one example of those advances. Very efficient!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been to 2 fish farms and impressed by both types of farms .One was a koi farm and one was a sturgeon farm .The sturgeon farm is just for the eggs they produce (not my cup of tea for sure )But there is a high dollar cost for the eggs .It was amazing to see them do sonograms to see which were females .They were all in above ground tanks with shade to keep the fish cool and water was crystal clean and then you see the koi farm with green water in the ground mud ponds .Could not see the fish until they pulled the net in to show you there were really fish in there .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great video just think of it as a healthy raised food that are not effected by all the junk being dumped into the ocean .Not sure how boat fishers will feel about it .But you look at it this way a healthy and fast way to grow a food that is good for you and free of toxins .I know the sturgeon farm had 100 people working for them and the koi farm only had 10 people full time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Charles many thanx for sharing well worth a watch, its amazing what they can do nowadays :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Charles very interesting video and thank you for sharing. It makes me wonder about some broader issues like where the baby fish are coming from. I hope they don't come from the wild as this would deplete fish in the oceans. Also how this will affect jobs for fishing industry worldwide. Is there unlimited demand for fish and as more facilities like this are built, and will it push down prices on fish and wages fishermen receive? I know in Alaska a lot of jobs were lost with all the salmon hatcheries and there is a big movement to eat only wild fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I saw a show where they are saying tuna will be gone from the oceans in around 5 years with the way they are being fished. I can see a time where there will only be farmed fish to eat.

Reaction score
I spent a couple months in the Philippines this winter and they have a mainly fish diet, but let me tell you, they sure aren't feeding their populations on wild caught fish, fish farms are everywhere. Mind you they are nothing like the one in Charles's video. They are generally low tech mud ponds that are either filled by pumping water in and out of them, or they are connected to a series of locks and tide channels and filled with brackish water at high tide, and drained when needed at low tide. How they control disease I can't say, but they seem to make it work. Their primary farmed fish are Milk fish and Tilapia.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The planet's ocean fish population has been decimated by overfishing. Even with all of the treaties and monitoring it still goes on at a dangerous level. Commercial fishing is a rapidly disappearing trade due to man's greed.
Aquaculture is the sustainable solution.

Ask a Question