Installed a Airmax kit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been using the cheap Laguna air pumps in my pond for winter and they are fine but the cost just keeps going up and I feel they are a little pricey now. I believe I paid a little over $30 and now they are at $50. I needed to replace one so I decided to get a better system. I decided to go with the Airmax KoiAir1 single plate aeration kit. Very easy to install and pleased with the output. Had one leak come out the fitting but that was a easy fix with a clamp. Seems like quality material even including the hose.

The air stone to the left is the older system, the Airmax is on the right. Should keep the ice open very nicely.

IMG_2924.JPG

here is the pond the Airmax is right in front of the skimmer. Super cold today and the pond is getting a little ice on it now. First ice of the season. Stream has no ice at all but that should change tonight.
IMG_2927 (Edited).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
which one did you get, I'm using a simple Tetra air pump but not sure it will survive the winter

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a air plate for my laguna pump .I looked at energy costs when I buy any thing and my laguna one only uses 45 watts .I had the koi aire one and gave it to my neighbor when I increased the pond size to 5000 gallons .I got the diffuser plate on ebay for 12.99 with free shipping since it was an opened damaged box but item was not damaged .It took time to find one but was well worth it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a air plate for my laguna pump .I looked at energy costs when I buy any thing and my laguna one only uses 45 watts .I had the koi aire one and gave it to my neighbor when I increased the pond size to 5000 gallons .I got the diffuser plate on ebay for 12.99 with free shipping since it was an opened damaged box but item was not damaged .It took time to find one but was well worth it .
I believe the one I bought uses 17 watts

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But it is to small for my pond and only has 4 ports .That is the one I gave my neighbor .I needed it to push air 4 feet down and it only worked to abut 3 feet .Yours must be a newer model because mine used 65 watt or 55 .I would have to ask Tammy since she has it .Mine has 12 ports ok looked up my pic and the one I had uses 35 watts and only 1.7 cfm and cost me 269 dollars on sale (4 years ago )and the laguna was 149 dollars for 2 air stones and the 12 port piece and 4 year warranty .Only thing is koi air included the air hose that was weighted and 2 air plates .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sounds like you found the perfect one for your pond then and cheaper. Can't go wrong with that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is if you look at aerators just like every thing else there is 1 part ,so the brand does not matter just the price and wattage used .Just like anything you buy these days .But wish I could have gone with the bigger one .I got mine off wayfair .cfm is the most important and depth that they go down too .Your budget also needs to be within the cost range you are hitting for .Best time to buy is winter time also

Ask a Question