Installing new UV systeim

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum. I have a 22' diameter pond with some gold fish and lilly pads. The pond was installed prior to purchasing the home and has always been poorly cared for. I would like to spruce it up a bit.
It of course is very green with algae and we have tried many types of remedies but probably need to try UV light.
It has a small waterfall that is created from a raised small pool above the pond. The water spills over a flat plate of marble slab that is about 10" wide creating a nice effect. Then the water splashes down a small wall of rock for about 2 feet.
My question is can I simply place a long high power submersible UV tube across the top of that marble plate to allow the thin flow of green water to skim over the top of the tube? Why wouldn't this work?
Cheers,
Mark

Reaction score
That would be ok. It may make for a nice ambience at night. I would probably shroud it at top so direct viewing would be blocked as it is not safe to look at directly. But I would think a surrounding glow would be safe.

Reaction score
I dont know if water flowing past the bulb that briefly would give it sufficient time to sterilize that water. Someone would have to research that.
I don't know either but I would think that many of the 40 watt uv bulb systems handle 8,000 gph throughput. Granted that is through a long tube (12"?) so there is some duration that the water is exposed to the light.

Ask a Question