installing outside electricity/ filter/pump cables/pipes?

Reaction score
i made the mistake of digging out my pond first then worrying about the pump and filter.

im not really sure how to go about getting outside electric sockets and im also not really sure on putting the cables underground. do they need pvp pipe around them? where i live there are no animals such as gophers to chew through the cables, only moles, but highly doubt i would get them at my house. though it is near a field with cows in it.

im trying to keep the project as cheap as possible, so im going to try and make my own filter, but i'd have to buy a pump, as i dont have a clue how to make one of those.

none of my ponds in my other houses i made ever had pumps in them, as they were just small ones with a couple of fish, so plants were able to keep them stable.

im working on a 8600 gallon pond at the moment. i hope to have a waterfall in it.

i just want to make sure that if this is done, it is done correct the first time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We ran our electric in pvc, safer if you ever dig in the area. They do make line that can be buried.

The diy section has a lot of good ideas for filters you can build.

There is a lot of chat about pumps, do a search and that will guide you to them.

Not sure what is available over there vs here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Electrical code will vary depending on your area, but if you want your electrical to be as trouble-free as possible, you've got to spend a little money...

PVC pipe (the grey stuff) is a MUST, and make sure you glue all the joints to keep water out. If you forget where you buried the wires in 5 years and put a shovel through the line, you'll have to rip it all out and run new wire again. This pipe is really cheap (something like $3 per 10-foot section), so there's really no reason not to use it.

To be safe, the pipe should be buried 12" or more. That should keep it out of reach of most of the digging you might do.

There is actually a special type of wire specifically for outdoor use. It has a heavier, waterproof coating around it, so even if you do get water inside the pvc pipe, it still won't cause problems. Obviously this type of wire is going to be more expensive.

Once you get this much done, the rest can be worked on as money allows. Obviously you have to get the wiring into the house to hook it up. You can run the pvc right up to the wall, then hit it heavily with weatherproof caulking to seal it up.

On the far end, you need the electrical outlet and a box. The outlet should be a GFI style, especially since you're working right beside open water. For the box, you can find solid plastic boxes that won't allow any water to get inside. Over the face of the outlet, search for weatherproof in-use electrical boxes - something like this...
ydYWXkkSPZJOwUz1Gmvj3lqcMX8dnoS6JcX32Un-dQJdS2w1N4W-NwTr33N66XFmSXIhDEcItaltj--wlyE8zpZ675tyur6i-EyQb4o5FZpsEkLIlR_B03nX3LoITm5SyhMuwkLL-OiIeksW1WmAoKEM81_oTU0-zxyVWAOx_8mWt8Ku7REHbNzL1LWT8n_AFcJBGDqe7kY

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We buried ours 3 feet, and in the gray pvc, safe from my shovel.

Reaction score
okay, thanks, turns out one of my relatives is going to do the electrical part of this for me. hes an electrician, so he'l enjoy doing it anyway. il still pay though ofcourse :nananananana:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great luke, (I married an electrician, have the wire run down to the pond...........but still using heavy duty extension cords.........go figure lol)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Ah that's great... he'll be familiar with any electrical codes you have in your area so it can be done right and not cause any problems. I don't know about your area, but here in the USA we have city governments with no ambition past trying to bleed money out of residents. They want you to pay for construction permits, pay for inspections, pay for licensed electricians to do the work... I can understand the need for safety, but they go overboard.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah they want a permit to tear down a old deck and even a permit to put new boards on an old deck. We are rural enough we just do it.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
You could build your own pump, very inexpensively, too. Just research "airlift" in a search engine or even on youtube.com and you'll find the idea, and that idea is fairly adaptable. A waterfall would not be easily possible using this airlft technology, though.

What you will require to operate it is a quality air compressor, something like a hakko air pump, which are less costly to purchase, maintain, and operate than a water pump. See if the idea appeals to you, certainly the cheapest way to run a filtered pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Luke,

Most things have been mentioned here already, but one thing i strongly recommend is an RCD.

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=rcd&hl=e...r_gc.r_pw.&fp=803787849dba8cd&biw=969&bih=332

This device is essential for outside electrical supplies. It isolates the supply in milliseconds if it detects an earth leakage current.... so if you stick a shovel through the cable you won't get electrocuted.

I would also recommend laying warning tape about 6" above the cable, so that if you do forget where it is later on you have a warning before you hit it.

Other posters have recommend PVC tubing for the cable. This will certainly do the job, but another possibility is the mains water tubing. This is a thick flexible tubing that is very difficult to put a shovel through and comes in 25m or longer lengths.

http://www.landscapeplus.com/products.aspx?productId=176

Hope this helps.

cheers,

Andy.

Reaction score
luckily for me, in scotland, if its your garden, you do what you want with it, and theres nothing the goverment can say about it. (unless its something like a dogfighting ring... ofc)
actually, we're encouraged to build ponds, without charge, because a) it could be a home for the very endangered newts/frogs here and ;) it adds value to the house.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can do what you want, But keep in mind, most of the codes are for your own safety, I got a first hand experience a few years back when I wasn't using a GFI receptacle.(Mistake #1) I had a submersible pump that was clogging and I had to get in the pond to clean the screen, as I lifted the cord (Mistake #2) to get to the pump, all the water stopped flowing and I started getting a low voltage shock that kept getting stronger and stronger. I jerked the plug out and it all stopped.(Could have been mistake #3) When I got out and started inspecting everything I found the seal had gone bad where the cord went into the motor housing and allowed water in the pump. If It had been a direct short I would have been severely electrocuted if not killed, If I had been using the GFI it would have tripped the breaker and I would have found the problem the correct way. Take precautions for your safety, Remember not only do your fish depend on you, so does your family and friends, Safety shortcuts just aren't smart.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
You can do what you want, But keep in mind, most of the codes are for your own safety, I got a first hand experience a few years back when I wasn't using a GFI receptacle.(Mistake #1) I had a submersible pump that was clogging and I had to get in the pond to clean the screen, as I lifted the cord (Mistake #2) to get to the pump, all the water stopped flowing and I started getting a low voltage shock that kept getting stronger and stronger. I jerked the plug out and it all stopped.(Could have been mistake #3) When I got out and started inspecting everything I found the seal had gone bad where the cord went into the motor housing and allowed water in the pump. If It had been a direct short I would have been severely electrocuted if not killed, If I had been using the GFI it would have tripped the breaker and I would have found the problem the correct way. Take precautions for your safety, Remember not only do your fish depend on you, so does your family and friends, Safety shortcuts just aren't smart.

i didnt mean i was going to skip all the safety proceedures, i just meant that the goverment ect doesnt ask money for us to build what we want on our gardens.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:

Glad you were okay though!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, got to tingling pretty good! :alieneyesa: I've cut corners and after working offshore for 15 years safety is drilled into your brain. I got injured out there and it wasn't because of a short cut but it makes me think everyday about what I could have done to prevent it. I've told others on here, sometimes I post not just to the one person that I made the post to but for everyone to benefit from. Not saying you would take short cuts. Some places have strict codes some have lax, Just saying to everyone when it comes to water and electricity, :yikesu: think about your safety, :lol:

Ask a Question