Installing the pond liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
After spending 12 hours last Friday digging out and putting in a bigger pond where I had a tiny little pond, my husband now tells me he wants to empty the pond, pull it up, and flip it around. The bog is out towards the yard, and the pond in by the house and porch. He wants the bog by the house, and the pond by the yard. That's fine, because he said he'd do the digging this time, and it gives me a chance to try and get the pond liner in right. Good thing I didn't start the landscaping around the pond.

When we put the liner in the first time we had A LOT of wrinkles in the liner. How do I get it in more smoothly?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When we put the liner in the first time we had A LOT of wrinkles in the liner. How do I get it in more smoothly?

I couldn't tell you. mine's full of creases. I tried to work with it as it was filling but didn't have enough patience. It's hard to fit something that is flat and square into a hole that is round without having too many creases.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing I see with the bog being close to the house is when the plants grow you may not be able to see the pond .I pulled my wrinkles as water went in but rectangular ponds are easier only wrinkles in the 4 corners .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wrinkles are just part of a pond I decided - although I thought of them as creases, not wrinkles. You would need to cut the liner and seam it in order to eliminate the creases completely.

We tried to go for more small wrinkles rather than fewer big wrinkles - it seemed easier to manage. Kind of like gathering all around the pond, rather than big folds. But we rocked our entire pond, so we had time to manipulate and fool around before the water actually went in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I wouldn't worry too much about the wrinkles. As water fills the pond, the wrinkles will allow the liner to conform to the hole you've dug. If the liner is stretched too much to get it smooth it could make for some stress points that make it more susceptible to puncture.
The wrinkles will provide hiding places for various creatures as well.
Once the liner is covered with biofilm and algae you won't even notice the wrinkles any more.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
After spending 12 hours last Friday digging out and putting in a bigger pond where I had a tiny little pond, my husband now tells me he wants to empty the pond, pull it up, and flip it around. The bog is out towards the yard, and the pond in by the house and porch. He wants the bog by the house, and the pond by the yard. That's fine, because he said he'd do the digging this time, and it gives me a chance to try and get the pond liner in right. Good thing I didn't start the landscaping around the pond.

Are you installing an EDPM or PVC liner? EDPM will crease it is not as bad as PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Smoothed mine as it was filling. Fill slowly and work as you go. As you may know once the creases are under water there is no adjusting them. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got in the pond, as it was filling and smoothed it with my feet, still had creases, no biggy, makes the liner look like rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Are you installing an EDPM or PVC liner? EDPM will crease it is not as bad as PVC.
It is an EDPM liner. I think I am putting in a new skimmer, too. I tried one of the OASE skimmers that you can sit in your bond. I keep dumping fish out of it several times a day. That's no good.

Ask a Question