Instantly hold rocks in place

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am trying to add more rocks around the border of my pond to make it look more natural. I can find many products that are strong enough to hold them, but I need something that will bond instantly or a way to hold the rocks in place until the glue/sealer dries. Some rocks are submerged in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have never used any adhesives to hold rocks in place, so I can't really suggest a product that you might use. I wouldn't want them in any permanent position anyway. Over the years I have made many changes, moved rocks around, reshaped shorelines, etc.

All that glue may not give you that natural look you were going for.

However, if you do decide to use some type of glue, throw some sand or dirt on it before it sets up to make it look natural.

I just stack the rocks so they fit snugly, like a puzzle. It's trial and error and choosing the correct rocks is key. Sometimes it takes several different rocks to find the right one that fits. I flip them around and turn them over until they are stable. I set one layer, then the next layer is set back a little toward the shore and sits on the seam of the previous layer, like a brick wall. The shape of one rock fits the shape of the one next to it as best as I can. It takes time, but when it's done it's pretty much locked in together. Rocks are plentiful where I live, so there's no shortage.

Oh, and no pointy or sharp rocks get near my pond. I don't want to chance puncturing my liner.

The most important thing is it's up to you, it's your project.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The spray foam insulation works well in holding rocks in place. Dependent on the size. I used some around 9 years ago, just tried to move a rock and had to use a pry bar to break it loose.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594314377618.gif
Welcome @RoxieA
I like to leave my rocks unattached as I always end up adjusting or moving them around so can't help ya there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like @addy1 said - the spray foam will work to hold rocks, generally. HOWEVER let me caution you that any rocks that are around your pond that have the potential to be stepped on need to be secure on their own. You wouldn't want someone to step on a rock and have it give way under their feet. I'm a big proponent of edges being 100% steppable, because eventually SOMEONE will step on it!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@RoxieA Can we see a few pictures of your pond? Are you talking about holding rocks on a vertical surface or on a horizontal surface.

Oh, and welcome!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
The spray foam insulation works well in holding rocks in place. Dependent on the size. I used some around 9 years ago, just tried to move a rock and had to use a pry bar to break it loose.
I wouldnt recomend spray foam as it could be toxic to fish, but if you look @ aquascape they have a fish safe pond spray foam tht should work :)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used the spray insulation on floating Islands and had no issues with toxicity. Most of the pond foam is not used for adhesive but just to redirect water flow.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have used the spray insulation on floating Islands and had no issues with toxicity. Most of the pond foam is not used for adhesive but just to redirect water flow.
okay! good to know :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have always been puzzled by the fact that so many "pond gurus" on the internet routinely use spray foam, like it's required. I have so far had no trouble just strategically placing and stacking stones by trial and error, and let gravity be the bonding agent.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@clark kent - I don't see many pro pond builders using spray foam to hold rocks together. They do use it to direct water over waterfalls, where it's invaluable. And I've seen The Pond Digger fill gaps in the pond between rocks with foam - not sure why he thinks that's a good idea, but he's got lots more experience than me! We just filled all of our gaps with smaller rocks and gravel.

I agree with you that the preferred way is to stack rocks so they are not going to move AT ALL. I don't want to worry about walls collapsing because foam gave out. I grew up in an area where it was very common to see dry stacked rock walls surrounding farm fields that had been there for a hundred years or more. If you take your time and do it right, they won't go anywhere.

Using some spray foam to hold a few small rocks in place for concealing liner or plumbing or whatnot is TOTALLY my jam, though! It's like frosting on a cake - use it to level it all out and fill all those holes! haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Super glue works in water and can glue rocks to each other. It is not toxic to fish, and it can also be used to glue plants to things (like driftwood).

However, if your rocks are very large, using superglue might be a pain in the butt.

Ask a Question