Instructions for raised wood garden pond I built 15 years ago?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a raised wood pond around 15 years ago and it's rotting and I printed out directions and I don't know where they are! I think the original builder who posted his directions may have been named Tim? This is the photo of the pond I copied. Looking for directions with photos again. Anyone?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.42.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.42.25 AM.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Karen McDaniel - are you saying someone posted them here 15 years ago? Or just on the internet in general?
Well after finding some papers I had printed out with original posters photos, it was NOT from this forum but one that apparently no longer exists: AMERICAN PONDERS. I learned everything from them. The person who posted a tutorial with photos was "Joey" Joeyb5980 was a user name. The tutorial was "How to build a raised wooden lily pond using 4X4's.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pond has held up very well for 15 years - is that treated or untreated lumber?
It was treated 4X4's. And looking back at some dates, it may not be quite 15 years but close. The only rot is on end where water circulates through pump & back in to pond. I guess it sprayed or leaked out there over the years. We are going to have to do a complete rebuild. The liner is that old too. My husband was just diagnosed with cancer, so I'm hoping to get someone to build it for us.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You are pretty much lapping the corners and as you stack the 4x4’s up drill down through each corner and every 18” the length of the timber and pin them together using either rebar and/or 8-12” 100d galvanized nails. Also, the treatment used for pressure treated lumber has changed (not all treated lumber is the same) make sure whoever you get to build it uses lumber that is treated for ground contact or marine use. This will prevent rot from water as well as where it touches the ground.

I built something similar a few years ago to hold my juvenile turtles, although I used 6x6’s, which I would recommend using instead of 4x4’s it will hold up much longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Very sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis, Karen. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As jhn suggested 6x6 timbers will resist warping and rotting much longer then 4x4's and is the route i would look at as well but another easy method of building your retaining wall is with concrete pavers/retaining wall. don't let the idea scare you the designs today are so easy to build with you can watch a video on you tube and you can become an expert in a matter of minutes.

Ask a Question