Intake Bay skimmer prior to bog?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys I have an 800 gallon pond 3 feet deep it's 8 feet by about nine feet wide the first shelf is 10in deep this is the bog area the second shelf is 18 in deep and then it goes down to three feet deep at the deepest part. My question is when I constructed this Pond 2 years ago I did not include a skimmer I was going from a hundred gallon pond where it was very easy to keep the surface clear it's a little more difficult in a 800 gallon pond so I bought floating skimmer which is pretty effective but takes more space up. I was considering taking the pump that sits on the Shelf that's 18 in deep that pumps through a pipe up into the bog and designing Inlet bay as a skimmer. I've seen these and they seem pretty effective. My question was however they always say to put the pump the farthest away from the bog that you can but I would actually be using the pump to draw the water into the Inlet bay as a skimmer prior to Flushing the water through the bog and use the Inlet bay as my mechanical filter it would be easier for me to get to it to clean as well. On the wall opposite of the bog I have to Aquascape aerators and at the end of the bog there is a pump that sits on the bottom of the pond at 3 feet and it pumps up to the waterfall that is filled with lava rock it also a biofilter as well. I like things that look natural and I have a problem with this floating skimmer in my pond so I really like the idea of this Inlet skimmer do you think this would work at the one end of the bog I would have to drain the water down past the bog and I would have to foam in a rock wall to create this intake Bay as well as foaming in the inlet portion coming from the pond. I would put my pump in a pump bag at the bottom and then foam on top of that and then rocks to create a place that would skim the top of the water well. I will send pictures this little skimmer also needs to be emptied all the time so I need something a little bigger. Let me know your thoughts and ideas thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think there are others here with a lot more experience that could provide advice. I think you could make this work but again I am still learning so take my advice as Golden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did it on Memorial Day LOL clean down about 2 feet of the bog at one end and took the pump and moved it from the Shelf in the pond into their and then used waterfall foam to create a bay and I kind of like a rock weer where the water to come in from. I laid a screen over the pump and then placed big rocks in there and it draws the top of the water in and all of the yucky stuff on top of the water so now it is filtering the water going to the bog the bogs getting a little bit more Force and I'm skimming all in one no more floating skimmer yay very happy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you figured it out! Great! post a photo of your build sounds like a neat idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
fabbd477e3930417b6a12a30d85bf711.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello here's a picture the bog is to the far right you can see where the plants are it goes all the way around to the waterfall down in the right-hand corner by the Hosta is the area that I cleaned out about two feet and created the Inlet bay working well so far the only problem I'm having is I have a 550 gallon leading to the bog and a thousand gallon an hour from the bottom of the pond to the top of the waterfall I think I would have a quicker draw on the surface if I equal to the GPH. I have a thousand gallon I just ordered received it today I'm going to try that out . Placed the screen over the pump to prevent debris from getting in it just settles on top of the screen on the rocks and I removed the rocks and pick up the screen hose it off and put it back. So far I'm very pleased with this. I think in the winter I'll just disconnect the pump and lay it on the first shelf in the pond . access is so much easier for me I no longer have to reach out to feet and then down 2 feet onto a shelf to get the pump out and clean. Also I figure if it gets really really bad with a bunch of junk it's kind of like a little settling chamber I could just take wet dry vac and just suck it out. love not having that floating skimmer in there anymore. I had to send a picture from my camera because I'm at work right now I'll try to send more pictures tomorrow or Sunday on my day off when I can get some better angles. Have a blessed day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
800 gallon pond 8x9 3 feet deep.bog 6 x 3. 9 inches deep pourous shelf wall within the pond.waterfall with lava rock. Water very clear 2nd year pond. Love this bog should have done this 20 yrs ago.....inlet bay a great addition.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water looks nice and clear. That butterfly Koi in the second to last pic must be huge! Basing it on the size you gave for your pond.

Ask a Question