Interesting "phenomenon" with disappearing algae!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't know if this is all coincidental and just due to seasonal timing, or if it is a combination of many factors working together.

For the last month, I've had a ton of string algae. I always have some at this time of year, but it seemed a little heavy this year. I was skimming it out and throwing it on the garden and changing the blue pad in the filter daily. It was totally gunked up with algae every time. LOTS of bright green, lovely algae -- just more than I wanted.

Last week, I did a couple of things: I added another polishing pad to the waterfall filter, along with more spring media for good bacterial to colonize. I also added 7 large trapdoor snails from Trickers. (They are big!). In addition to that, all the oak trees around the pond started dropping their tassels, releasing tannins which have turned the water brown. It is very clear, but dark colored, like strong iced tea.

I went out today and the algae is GONE!!!!!! Gone. I'm wondering if the darkened water has prevented some of the sunlight from getting through? Was it beefing up the waterfall filter media? Did the snails eat it all? Whatever the reason, it was a nice Easter surprise!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had lots of string algae over the winter and into spring both years. both times it all disappeared as soon as the water hit around 50. the fish woke up and ate it. I did not feed the fish at all until a week or so ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
So glad to here that the algae goes away when plants kick in. The algae has completely covered the liners and waterfalls in my new ponds and string algae just showed up in waterfall. I am happy to see it as my ammonia is still to high for fish so I need it all to do it’s job.
Thinking it may take another week. No real sign that bacteria is doing much yet either. Cold water temps may have slowed things down.
Looks like another week with no fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not seen any amount of string algae in any of my ponds. The slow flow ones have the aracharnis, another has a ton of parrots feather growing. I was told it would never live but it did.

The hornwort lives all winter, it sucks out a lot of nutrients.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's always amazing to see how fast a pond can flip from lots of algae to barely none at all. Things just need to find their balance. We barely ever see string algae anymore. The first few years we would haul it out by the bushel full for the first few weeks of spring.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one lily leaf in hot tub pond right in front of the cam. I watched it go from 1/2 the way up the cam picture to 2x's the length in 1/2 of a day. They grow fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have parrots feathers that I cut back in the fall. They are showing no sign of life. I'm guessing that they probably should have by now. Is it time to pull the plug and get them out of the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wouldn't give up on your parrot's feather just yet. We've already had temps in the 80s where I am and some of them are just coming back to life. Are the stems squishy and slimy? Or still firm? If squishy, I would get rid of them - but if not, maybe wait a little longer?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have parrots feathers that I cut back in the fall. They are showing no sign of life. I'm guessing that they probably should have by now. Is it time to pull the plug and get them out of the pond?
I never cut mine back, I just leave it floating around. All the floating pieces are putting out nice new growth. If something does not come back , like a stem, it gets tossed.
This is one of my slow flow no fish ponds, maybe 2 feet deep, used to be a preform. It is not running during the winter, freezes up big time.
20190422_193927.jpg

This is the hot tub pond
20190422_194022.jpg

Ask a Question