Internal or external pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I am fed up with pumps that break. All of our pumps are internal and they seem to develop some kind of problem after a couple of years of use. Is that normal? They aren’t cheap and I hate having to replace anything, let alone something that costs a lot. The most recent one has a big leak at what appears to be a join in the body of the pump but maybe that is to be expected over time? So what about external pumps? Are they more reliable i.e. less likely to break? My husband is concerned about a pump outside of the pond because it would pump the pond out if it broke/leaked. What do you think?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've had good luck w/Laguna and Pondmaster internal pumps lasting for many, many years. Never used an external one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I have an external Sequence pump. Has given me no problems but I have had it running 4 months lol..They have had good reviews and one of the lowest power consumption for gpm.
Don't forget to look at the power consumption, sometimes spending more for a pump will be cheaper or even pay for itself in the long run.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
With any pump, submersible or external, I would suggest having the intake up high enough off the bottom of the pond so that if you do have a problem, only a small portion of the water will escape.
I keep my submersible pump tied up with a thin rope to prevent this.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a dragon lim pump, external, now for around 15 years, the same pump. It was not cheap, but easy on the bill and very reliable. Turn it off in the fall, back on in the spring. I store it outside in a shed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pumps only pull water if mounted above water level.
With our slope build my pump is at water level or a bit lower. The pond edge is higher than the pump by about a foot.

Ask a Question