Intoducing wild fish/pond caught into a garden pond?

Reaction score
This is one of my many queries , i built the pond with the idea of stocking fish i've caught myself eg mirror carp, common carp ,crucian carp tench rudd chub barbel etc but ive since taken a liking to goldfish/koi/sturgeon is there anyway i can have best of both worlds? Like buy koi/goldfish and catch and introduce the above species into my pond?
Got our 1st child due march the 1st so money has other prioritys than buying lots of fish ...
cheers Sharpy:cool:

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
I have done this with blue gill and gold fish..as long as they have enough room and they are all relatively around the same shape they should be fine..i would try it out with some feeder gold fish from the local fish store and see how it goes before you buy expensive koi..i have 120 old fish with roughly 50 blue gill in one pond and 20 gold fish and koi with 4 rather large blue gill in another..and come spring time they will all be put together in one huge pond

Reaction score
Atm I have 4 goldies and 5 shubunkins in the pond all store bought , so you think it would be okay if I caught fish from my local fisherie and brought them home and introduced them in my same way you would any other fish ,float the bag for 2hours ish then set them loose? I'd only taake fish from top class ponds so I can be as sure as possible the fish are disease free .
Thanks

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
sharpy said:
Atm I have 4 goldies and 5 shubunkins in the pond all store bought , so you think it would be okay if I caught fish from my local fisherie and brought them home and introduced them in my same way you would any other fish ,float the bag for 2hours ish then set them loose? I'd only taake fish from top class ponds so I can be as sure as possible the fish are disease free .
Thanks

As long as the fish that you catch are the same size or smaller than the ones in your pond you should be fine..the fish you listed dont seem to be carnivorous and they should get the hang of eating fish food just like the gold fish..i hand feed my bluegill worms and fish pellets

Reaction score
I take your advie onboard but can i ask why the size matters i plan only to introduce small fish into my pond so i can watch them grow

jester61288

Blueinthegills
Reaction score
sharpy said:
I take your advie onboard but can i ask why the size matters i plan only to introduce small fish into my pond so i can watch them grow

well to be honest im assuming that the carp you are looking to catch wont eat your gold fish since they are in the same family type but to be honest i dont really know..lets just put it this way..dont bring home a fish that could swallow any others lol..ill get some pictures up of the bluegill (or sunfish) later tonight..i had to bring them inside to an aquarium..where do you live?

Reaction score
Be wary of black/large mouth bass. Our local fish farm raises bass as well as koi. It is not unusual to see a small bass choked to death on a fish too big for it to swallow.:cool:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
another possible concern is disease(s) that indigenous wild fish may carry that koi and /or goldfish may not have any exposure or immunities to....just a thought!

Reaction score
I wouldn't add bluegill and goldfish together, I have done that before with bad results. I didn't lose any fish but the bluegill harassed the others to the point I felt I needed to separate them. I have had the most success with White Suckers and good results with shad as well. The larger shad actually schooled with young koi. I would like to find carp to add. It's true about parasites and diseases, adding native plants is dangerous as well for parasites unless thoroughly cleaned first.

Reaction score
I wont be adding any bass or blue gill or shads , the only reason its not even a option is id have import them from america i guess i live in manchester ,england my pond now consist of 11 fish atm 5 snubunkins 4 goldfish and 2 golden orfe

Reaction score
sharpy said:
I wont be adding any bass or blue gill or shads , the only reason its not even a option is id have import them from america i guess i live in manchester ,england my pond now consist of 11 fish atm 5 snubunkins 4 goldfish and 2 golden orfe

I wish Golden Tench were available to us in the States, sharpy. You might want to look at those as well

Ask a Question