Introducing A New Shubunkin In Cold Weather.

Reaction score
I have always obtained and introduced new fish to my pond in the Spring and Summer. I never really though of doing it in the middle of Winter. Today I saw a Shubunkin that I really liked and am wondering if it's ok to introduce new fish in the Winter.
I live in Georgia, where we have fairly mild winters. This week it's been in the low 30's at night and high 40's during the day. My pond thermometer stopped working over the Summer, so I don't know about water temp right now.
Of course I know to float the fish and slowly introduce the pond water into the float-bag before letting the fish swim out. But is it alright to do this in colder weather?

Thanks

Aaron

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I personally do not move any of my koi fom the ponds during the winter when the pond is below 60 degrees. I rescue koi all year round so there are some exceptions.

When I do move koi at any time, I make sure the water temps are within 1 degree so there is no shock to the fish.

I use a digital thermometer that I bought at the meat counter at a major grocery store so I have an accurate reading.

I also make sure the water is PH balanced by adding an equal amount of the new water to the donor water.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You could quarintene the new fish in the house till spring
That would solve two issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d QT it in a tank till full spring. Buy a pool thermometer, you have to fish it over, but if you tied a line to it, it’d be easy to bring over to check.

Ask a Question