Introducing A New Shubunkin In Cold Weather.

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by doghikers, Jan 23, 2011.

1. doghikers

doghikers

I have always obtained and introduced new fish to my pond in the Spring and Summer. I never really though of doing it in the middle of Winter. Today I saw a Shubunkin that I really liked and am wondering if it's ok to introduce new fish in the Winter.
    I live in Georgia, where we have fairly mild winters. This week it's been in the low 30's at night and high 40's during the day. My pond thermometer stopped working over the Summer, so I don't know about water temp right now.
    Of course I know to float the fish and slowly introduce the pond water into the float-bag before letting the fish swim out. But is it alright to do this in colder weather?

Thanks

Aaron

doghikers, Jan 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. doghikers

DrDave Innovator Moderator

I personally do not move any of my koi fom the ponds during the winter when the pond is below 60 degrees. I rescue koi all year round so there are some exceptions.

When I do move koi at any time, I make sure the water temps are within 1 degree so there is no shock to the fish.

I use a digital thermometer that I bought at the meat counter at a major grocery store so I have an accurate reading.

I also make sure the water is PH balanced by adding an equal amount of the new water to the donor water.

DrDave, Jan 23, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. doghikers

digginponds pondaholic

in short,no!

digginponds, Jan 25, 2011
  4. doghikers

Patfish Ignore the mask and cape

You could quarintene the new fish in the house till spring
    That would solve two issues

Patfish, Feb 25, 2018
  5. doghikers

brokensword Not all those who wander are lost

Pat; the OP has had 7 years to think about it and I bet is still waiting for the temps to warm up...:p

brokensword, Feb 25, 2018
    addy1 and RobAmy like this.
  6. doghikers

JamieB

I’d QT it in a tank till full spring. Buy a pool thermometer, you have to fish it over, but if you tied a line to it, it’d be easy to bring over to check.

JamieB, Feb 26, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question