Introducing Air Into Gravel Bog?

Reaction score
Currently building my five-yard of gravel volume bog, 18" deep with planned 12" water level depth before spillover to waterfall.

Would introducing air into the bog water feed pipe via Venturi be worthwhile? I think so based on reading here that the bacteria likes oxygen. And of course, the pond and fish like it too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Someone suggested aeration for my container bog, to keep mosquitos from breeding. Not sure you'd need to, since you water is moving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I guess it depends on how you define debris. If you mean solid matter then I can say with a certainty there is no debris in our bog.

Reaction score
Also, dirtydawg, a bog is not an ideal place for the bacteria to grow. They should be in water that has already been mechanically filtered. If you want to put a biological filter after your bog, that would be awesome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If there is no debris in the bog, then it's not working.

http://nelsonwatergardens.com/gravel-bog-filter-construction/

Working in what way? Working to do what? Working to provide an environment for plants to grow that remove excess ammonia, nitrates and nitrogen from the water? Because that's what I expect from my bog and it works just great doing exactly that. Could there be fine sediment in the bog? Sure. But sediment breaks down so quickly, so I wouldn't term that "debris" either.

I have no other filter, pre post or otherwise. Just the bog.

Dirtydawg - we have an aerator in our pump vault. Without it we get mosquitoes laying and hatching in there. And we do like the idea of introducing more oxygen into the system.

Reaction score
Working in what way? Working to do what? Working to provide an environment for plants to grow that remove excess ammonia, nitrates and nitrogen from the water? Because that's what I expect from my bog and it works just great doing exactly that. Could there be fine sediment in the bog? Sure. But sediment breaks down so quickly, so I wouldn't term that "debris" either.

I have no other filter, pre post or otherwise. Just the bog.

Dirtydawg - we have an aerator in our pump vault. Without it we get mosquitoes laying and hatching in there. And we do like the idea of introducing more oxygen into the system.
Ok so you either have no fish or your fish don't poop. Which is it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok so you either have no fish or your fish don't poop. Which is it?

You got me. I pond-trained all my fish. No poop in my pond.

Actually I do have fish and they do poop in the pond. The waste sinks to the bottom where it is broken down in the (gasp!) gravel bed on the pond floor. The water flows out of the pond over a negative edge (filtering down through another 24" deep rock/gravel bed) into the vault where the pump is housed. The water that flows out of the pond has leaves in it that drop from the trees over the pond. But that's it. No fish waste. The leaves are caught by the gravel and we rake or scoop those out every few days, depending how fast the leaves are falling. No solid debris flows out of the pond, no solid debris gets to the pump, therefore no solid waste gets into the bog. The water that is pumped into the bog does have the byproducts of the breakdown of waste in the pond, hence the reason the plants thrive in the bog - they love that stuff.

But back to the original question - you advised that adding an aerator would push debris to the surface. Doesn't it stand to reason that the water being pushed up through the bog would force debris to the surface? Does anyone with a bog have that issue?

Ask a Question