Introducing different foods

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I have always fed my goldfish and now my two koi only fish flakes. I have been reading here that there are people foods that can be fed. I am worried that they won’t recognize anything other than their present diet as food and won’t eat it and it will simply foul the water. What is the best way to introduce these other foods? They are very attentive when I feed them because I ring a bell when they are about to be fed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ring the bell, add the food, give them time to try it, and if they like it, you’re golden. I tossed watermelon rinds in, cucumber ends, lettuce, others have done Cheerios, and all were enjoyed by the fish. I had no problem just dropping it in, gave it a day, and when I went out to double check if I needed to toss it, the first time they had nibbled the softest bits, and after that, they ate all but the skin. The white of the rind was all gone, same went for cucumber, except the thinnest skin was nibbled away too. I find they take it easily enough.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Like @JamieB said - start slow. One piece of watermelon won't create a problem if they don't eat it. I toss a whole slice in and it just floats and bobs around while they eat it. They may not get it the first time - if not, scoop it out and try again later.

One thing my fish always love is nice big juicy earthworms! When I'm planting or digging in my gardens I always save the biggest ones and toss them to the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
What do you think about doing this in my small indoor pond? The big outdoor pond can handle that, I think, but not so sure about the little one! Gotta remember the earthworms next summer!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How small @NancyMc ? I mean the concept is the same, so I don't see why not. But I wouldn't toss a slice of watermelon in a 30 gallon patio pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Here is the pond. I am going to say about 120 gallons

Attachments

• 25B5F294-CFB2-4C9B-8847-8EBDC2194527.jpeg
    25B5F294-CFB2-4C9B-8847-8EBDC2194527.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I do small bits of plants for my guppies. The ends I cut off cucumber, a leaf of lettuce, then remove what isn’t eaten in a day or two. That’s even in the aquarium, so give it a try with a small piece, and offer them more once they catch on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Back to the fish feeding. My fish are about to go in to their outdoor summer home. Should earthworms but cut in to small pieces? My koi aren't very big yet - maybe six inches.

Ask a Question