Introducing fish in a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am very new to pond keeping. I have a circular pond that is about 15 feet in diameter. The pond is along side a small stream that is about 5 feet wide, and moves fast enough to move water in the pond, but slow enough for a small fish to not get caught in the current. I think that the pond is natural, but if it isn't, it is at least 20 years old. I would like to keep KOI fish in the pond. (Remember, I am very new and and information helps) :). The pond is about 3.5-5 feet deep. I would like to know what matenance would be required, and any tips on adding/stocking/feeding/breeding KOI fish would be Very helpful.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think what you're saying is that you have a pond that is open to a natural stream. You ABSOLUTELY cannot put koi or even goldfish into any body of water where they have ANY chance of escaping into the wild. I know you say the fish won't get caught in the current, but if they have the opportunity koi WILL swim into a current - it's their absolute favorite thing to do, other than eat.

Post some pictures of your pond so we can see what you have - maybe I've misunderstood you completely.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How true the faster the water the better koi like it .You can get fined in some states now for having koi in a pond that could possibly flood and they get loose .I saw a big story on it and they had it on a couple of those game warden shows .It is a hefty fine .Even goldfish are illegal in a pond that can flood in some states .I saw it also after looking it up on the internet .They have a list of states

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
People are giving you sound advice here koi can be very damaging to the natural enviroment , they are banned from all but two states in Australia and totally in New Zealand where they are considered pest I'd find out exactly where they are banned in the US first before choosing koi .
Then prepare to read lots on the subject of keeping koi

Dave 54

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep because the fines can be hefty .You get fined for each fish and then get to watch as they poison the pond to kill the fish .I saw it on a show here called Northwoods Law and then I looked it up and found more and more states having that law .I checked before I even did my pond .Some counties even have laws .I know several counties in California have laws against goldfish because of people dumping them .Even hedgehogs are considered an exotic pet in some states and you have to have a permit to have one .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you want koi, build yourself a koi pond with raised sides if it’s in an area that could flood. Just remember that they get big, and need lots of water, so do your research. Due to potential flooding, I’m keeping my goldfish in an above ground pool, though I’d love to have a pretty pond set in the ground. Our west property line is the river, and if it flooded, I’d loose all my fish in a pond. If you can’t build a pond separate from that stream, find some pretty native fish for it. You might consider a net over where the stream intersects the pond to keep your natives in, but it would do no good if it floods.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why mine is some what raised .We can get lots of rain here and being on a hill that slopes down to the road it could be bad .There are 2 streams across the road from my house and went down to look and they are running fast with all the rain we have gotten and they say 3 more days of rain and it has been a heavy rain .More rain than I have ever seen for Feb.Northwoods law is on now and they were just talking about ponds with illegal fish that could get loose into the wild

Ask a Question