introducing young koi

Reaction score
Hi all. Im new to introducing young koi to my pond.
Yesterday I introduced 10 2-3". Within 2 hours I found one literally ripped in half and today the rest are hiding in the folds and very reluctant to come out!! I dont know how to feed them because they arnt coming to the surface for the floating food they are used to.
I think maybe my sturgeon got hold of the deceased one or maybe the shubunkins are guilty.

Is this all pretty normal or are they just to small to be in the pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I doubt it was the shubunkins..dont know much about sturgeons, but the koi / goldfish family of fish are of little threat to fish over an inch or so..once they recognise them as fish and not some kind of larvae. They pretty much leave them alone. I let my fry loose in the pond every year at just about 1&1/2" or so, have yet to have any loses that i know of.

Reaction score
So what do you think about feeding them when they are staying in the folds? They guy I bought them off gave me some crushed scretins and coppens that floats? Do they usually find somewhere to hide and stay put?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Do you have any alge on the walls of the pond? If so they will feed on that. But why would you put koi in with a sturgeon? If they are anything like the ones here I would think your koi will be food for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Steve S, I have found that similar size fish generally acclimate to each other most easily. Sturgeon get very large and will eat smaller fish. I don't think this is a good mix. Your young koi are probably really stressed out for good reason. At this point the only meal they are thinking about is themselves!

Reaction score
Im suprised none of you have sturgeon. They are sold in nearly every garden centre in the uk and have become very popular. They are often mixed with koi. Mine is a syberian sturgeon about 12" long. It is growing very fast and not scared of humans at all. I'll try and put a pic on now. It has never shown aggression towards any of my other fish but I do think it might of mistaken the baby koi for food.

Reaction score

Attachments

• Photo-0019.jpg
    Photo-0019.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Photo-0020.jpg
    Photo-0020.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 399

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Neat fish! Gets to hot for them here. I've been keeping fish for 30+ years and sold fish for close to 10 and I've nevere seen one for sale here at all. I know of a couple of people in Calif. that have the Sturlets (sp) Only live ones I've ever seen are at public aquariums. I do know by watching them there that they actually feed them live small fish so adding 2' koi with a 12" sturgeon might not have been a great idea.

Reaction score
This is my dilema. Im really turning into a koi only guy. The sturgeon is a beautiful fish, I really like it but having watched it closely for the past hour I can see that it is not a good idea- as fishin for cars suggests- when the koi are so small. It just swims hunting for food constantly. Im considering buying a floating net to put the baby koi in but half of me says where do you draw the line in spending your money? I should have bought the 4-5 inches as I also bought a Platinum ogon about 4 inches long and its fine.
The climate is cold here meaning better oxygen levels. I still have 2 air stones in the pond purely for the sturgeons needs.

Live and learn I guess. Just wish it was a bit cheaper!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well ya just need to make another pond for your big sturgeon and some buddies..........it's just a shovel away :lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can see where your dilema is. I would love to keep a stugeon but I also know my limits. they need cool moving water. Something I can't supply year round. But still a very cool fish. As long as the Koi are big enough not to be considered food then from my reading and understanding they are usually gentle fish. Small koi need plenty of room to swim to grow so your really going to have to think it through. Which is more important, the Sturgeon or the Koi. IMO, another pond is needed to house and raise the smaller koi in or Buy bigger fish, and honestly with a 12" Sturgeon I wouldn't purchase anything too put in with him that is less than half his size. Still 6" koi aren't usually much more expensive then 2-3:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
have you got a bunch of floating plants, put them in the basket and this will give your young guys more security to go in there for their protection. Not a bad idea at all!!!!:lol:

Reaction score
I havnt simply because I believed my ghost koi would rip the plants to bits and muck the water up. I think the baby koi have wised up seeing their brother getting chewed up and they move quick smart when they see sturgy. Will try and get a pic of them 2morra. My shubunkin are still chasing the platinum ogon though which is annoying me!!!

Ask a Question