Introduction from WV

Reaction score
I built my 12' x12' x 3' pond with 16ft waterfall that runs year round in 2010, it was and is worth all the work. Learning alot every year and joined to pick up any helpful hints.
I currently have 14 Koi, 7 Bluegill, 3 Shubunkin, 3 Comet, 2 Red Eared Sliders and numerous bullfrogs in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and guess you had better luck than me in the 2010 winter because it was bad here .Thats a lot of fish for 12x12 ,mine is a little bigger and I feel i am over stocked with 13 fish and 2 filters going .I guess your waterfall must help really aerate the pond a lot .Would love to see pics of how you do it ,I can't . :razz:

Reaction score
Sissy, I have a homemade 100 gallon filter and am pumping 3,000 gallons an hour then it gravity feeds down the 16' waterfall. So yes I have alot of aeration.
I attached the only photo I had. I want to catch the Bluegill and get them out but I am having no luck. 2 Koi, Shubunkin and Bluegill are from last year and lived well through a mild winter.
I do keep it flowing year round and float a heat rock to keep from freezing over.

Attachments

• Pond.jpg
    Pond.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 157

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm really surprised in WV that you can keep it running as the 2010 winter almost emptied my pond and killed my fish because it froze in just a couple of hours in near blizzard conditions and pump was pumping the water out of the pond .If I had not seen the security light blinking I would have lost my fish and after that it scared me straight .I was out side with no shoes and in my nightie until I could get the hose connected in the basement and then came in to get clothes on .To worried about my fish to care about how cold I was

Ask a Question