Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shelley, Jun 13, 2014.

?

My question is this: since I have been spoiling my fish by feeding them peas, koi pellets, flakes a

Poll closed Jun 20, 2014.
  1. String Algae control

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fish waste

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shelley

Dave 54

Do I take it you have no filtration system at all shelly ?
    Your first visit then should be to your local koi dealership , give them the size of the pond waterfall etc and ask them if they can supply you with a filter to fit your system , its no wonder you have problems with your pond agae wise at present because between you and the sun all your doing is feeding it .
    Once your filter is in place then your going to have to mature it once this is done we can get down to your pond propper cleanng it all out bottopm wise with a pond vacuum cleaner or if you havent one doing it by hand .
    Do you have any liquid drop test kits API do a complete one Ammonia Nitrite Ph and phososphate it may well be nitrates over in the US your going to have to keep an eagle eye out on your pond perameters especially whilst we are getting your filter up and running .
    You also need to do regular partial water changes from now on bleach wont cut it as your finding out so you'll need pond dechlorinator/chlormines .
    Water quality is the key to success for you your pond and its inhabitents there in .

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Shelley

CometKeith

Hi Shelley,Welcome! Very pretty pond. The key is to find a natural balance for your pond so it can sustain itself with minimal work from you. My string algae disappeared after my pond cycled. It sounds like there is an excess of nutrients (food) causing your problem. Fish can find their own food naturally in the pond. They don'y really need much from us. I would cut way back and see if your algae problem clears up.

CometKeith, Jun 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Shelley

Shelley

John

Been out of town. But when I got back I dragged my husband who is an engineer and entirely uninterested in the pond. Reluctantly, he carefully measured the pond dimensions and he got around 750 gallons and approx 50 in the upper pond and falls. So it appears your calculations were correct. Thanks. Also, I appreciated your information on bio filters and constructed one on each side of the upper pond. Today I bought bog plants and will turn the upper pond into a bog/bio filter. I will send pictures soon.

Of course, whilst at the pond store I had to get some sort of new fun thing...today's acquisition was three crawfish. Ha! I am so terrible addicted.

Shelley, Jun 18, 2014
    JohnHuff likes this.
  4. Shelley

mtpond

Welcome Shelley! Love your pond.

mtpond, Jun 18, 2014
    Shelley likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question