Introduction

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree - most people want to do the right thing. Many people are like we were - the fish showed up and we had to deal with it. Hopefully your friends are on the path to a new hobby!
In the summer of 2017, a friend’s daughter won two goldfish at a carnival. I had a small 1.5 gallon starter tank in my basement and dug it out for the little cuties. Within 6 months I had to buy a 10 gallon tank for them. After only a few months I got a 29 gallon tank setup. About 2 years ago I had an ammonia problem that I couldn’t cure fast enough and had to think fast as I had fallen in love with “Finn and Gill” and I was not about to let them die! My second bathroom has an old cast iron claw foot bathtub that hadn’t been used in over 20 years so I cleaned it out and quickly filled it halfway, threw a filter in it and transferred Finn and Gill before it was too late! This was only going to be temporary but after a week they seemed so happy and had so much room to swim that I decided to make it their permanent home! The tub is fully functional so water changes are a breeze! Fast forward to 2021 and those little cuties are now about 11 inches in length and absolutely thriving! In fact, Finn started laying eggs about a year ago and Gill turned out to be a male so I scooped out some eggs, did research and tried my hand at raising their fry! I now have about 40 of their offspring that I’m raising and slowly giving away to worthy people. I don’t plan on expanding my hobby into becoming a breeder, though, as the culling process, as necessary as it may be, brings me too much heartache. I have since purchased two 55 gallon tanks as I have become a lover and hobbyist of fancy goldfish. I recently rescued two adult turtles and have them in a big, beautiful enclosure. My next project is to build a pond in my backyard as I can see that my love and interest in aquatic animals will only expand as time goes on so I must expand with their needs as well! I love this forum and will definitely come back for advice as my venture moves forward. I attached a few pics of Finn and Gill and the turtles

Mod edit: Thread moved to introductions :)

Attachments

• 8448F608-B1DB-40C8-ADE1-EDEBAF6F5658.jpeg
    8448F608-B1DB-40C8-ADE1-EDEBAF6F5658.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 2717CAFC-7DF7-4178-B73D-8DD4A7181FC3.jpeg
    2717CAFC-7DF7-4178-B73D-8DD4A7181FC3.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 31
  • FCF72C55-F30C-4FCA-86C7-15EB3B4660F7.jpeg
    FCF72C55-F30C-4FCA-86C7-15EB3B4660F7.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2DC663CC-336B-4E4E-B474-3C718E0243B7.jpeg
    2DC663CC-336B-4E4E-B474-3C718E0243B7.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 24A16390-6DA7-4E2B-9673-051E98FD8A2C.jpeg
    24A16390-6DA7-4E2B-9673-051E98FD8A2C.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lynn H Hello and welcome! Why not pop over to our “introductions“ topic and tell us about yourself and your experiences. This is an older thread and unfortunately, your post here will likely get lost here.

You will find that most of us started out small, and grew with the hobby, LOL! We love to hear stories!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Lynn! You certainly have your hands full.
In the summer of 2017, a friend’s daughter won two goldfish at a carnival. Fast forward to 2021 and those little cuties are now about 11 inches in length and absolutely thriving!
I recently attended a fair and was astonished to see goldfish are still used as carnival prizes. It makes me sick.
I have since purchased two 55 gallon tanks as I have become a lover and hobbyist of fancy goldfish. I recently rescued two adult turtles and have them in a big, beautiful enclosure.
Many of us also keep turtles. Outstanding that you rescued them.
My next project is to build a pond in my backyard as I can see that my love and interest in aquatic animals will only expand as time goes on so I must expand with their needs as well! I love this forum and will definitely come back for advice as my venture moves forward. I attached a few pics of Finn and Gill and the turtles

Great! Please share your ideas and plans. The members of this site are very friendly and have a tremendous depth of experience.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer of 2017, a friend’s daughter won two goldfish at a carnival. I had a small 1.5 gallon starter tank in my basement and dug it out for the little cuties. Within 6 months I had to buy a 10 gallon tank for them. After only a few months I got a 29 gallon tank setup. About 2 years ago I had an ammonia problem that I couldn’t cure fast enough and had to think fast as I had fallen in love with “Finn and Gill” and I was not about to let them die! My second bathroom has an old cast iron claw foot bathtub that hadn’t been used in over 20 years so I cleaned it out and quickly filled it halfway, threw a filter in it and transferred Finn and Gill before it was too late! This was only going to be temporary but after a week they seemed so happy and had so much room to swim that I decided to make it their permanent home! The tub is fully functional so water changes are a breeze! Fast forward to 2021 and those little cuties are now about 11 inches in length and absolutely thriving! In fact, Finn started laying eggs about a year ago and Gill turned out to be a male so I scooped out some eggs, did research and tried my hand at raising their fry! I now have about 40 of their offspring that I’m raising and slowly giving away to worthy people. I don’t plan on expanding my hobby into becoming a breeder, though, as the culling process, as necessary as it may be, brings me too much heartache. I have since purchased two 55 gallon tanks as I have become a lover and hobbyist of fancy goldfish. I recently rescued two adult turtles and have them in a big, beautiful enclosure. My next project is to build a pond in my backyard as I can see that my love and interest in aquatic animals will only expand as time goes on so I must expand with their needs as well! I love this forum and will definitely come back for advice as my venture moves forward. I attached a few pics of Finn and Gill and the turtles

hi, i have had the same ,mine were in a Belfast sink in the garden then I got them a90 gallon tank for inside in the winter then we had babies and got too many so the parents went in a new pond outside. now we've got babies outside too and im worried about the winter and when to feed them, the parents are laying low but the babies are still coming up for food. its a nightmare but lovely to see them.

Ask a Question