introduction

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Mary and having a pond is a new experience for me. We moved into this house after being in our previous home for 28 years. We needed to be on one level because of my husband's health. The pond and a few fish were here when we arrived. Even though the pond is small I must admit it's one of the things that drew me to the house. I thought I would enjoy the pond but I really didn't know I'd love it so much. After I learn more about ponds, fish and their upkeep I'm thinking of adding a bigger pond on another part of my property. I have 2 small koi and a few fancy goldfish. So far they're thriving. I also have a frog. My husband thinks I'm strange because I've named my fish. Does anyone else name their fish? I also bought a 20 gallon fish tank for my livingroom for the baby goldfish that survived to be a decent size. I know I can't do that every year but I'd like to know what you folks do with the surviving babies. Well, that's it for now. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about this wondefful hobby.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on the new house and pond. I see nothing wrong with letting your fish grow to a decent size in your home tank. Just follow the rules of running a clean tank and you should have no problems. I do call my fish names when they poke or bite at me. ;)

Reaction score
I live in a suburb of Phila. PA. Is it time to winterize my pond or should i wait another month? Thanks. Mary

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Mary and having a pond is a new experience for me. We moved into this house after being in our previous home for 28 years. We needed to be on one level because of my husband's health. The pond and a few fish were here when we arrived. Even though the pond is small I must admit it's one of the things that drew me to the house. I thought I would enjoy the pond but I really didn't know I'd love it so much. After I learn more about ponds, fish and their upkeep I'm thinking of adding a bigger pond on another part of my property. I have 2 small koi and a few fancy goldfish. So far they're thriving. I also have a frog. My husband thinks I'm strange because I've named my fish. Does anyone else name their fish? I also bought a 20 gallon fish tank for my livingroom for the baby goldfish that survived to be a decent size. I know I can't do that every year but I'd like to know what you folks do with the surviving babies. Well, that's it for now. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about this wondefful hobby.
Yes, I name my fish with help from my kids and friends on facebook. So far: Eros, Persephone, Aphroditie, Mango Jr., Underdawg, Scylla, Charibdes, Pretty Girl, Nigel, Doris, Arielle.

Ask a Question