invasive pond plant - what is it?

coelus

new guy
Reaction score
I have a plant in my pond that I cant identify. Sorry no pictures.

It is very invasive and grows at every point in my pond, it seems to have a tuber type root system, it has even started growing outside the pond. It is burgundy in color, it has single stalks with a small arrow shaped leaf at the top of each stalk. They dont grow in bunches just individual sprouts.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I cant find it on any pond plant websites

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
take a pic....i would start digging it out around my pond before its everywhere.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I just added that same plant to my growing water plant inventory. Did you know that Taro root is what Poi is? The Asian's have a Taro bread that makes awesum toast for a breakfast treat. It is very sweet and purple bread is unique. I love it!

I have found that all water plants that take root are invasive and if you don't keep them trimmed back and periodically remove the entire plant, they take over. When I remove the entire plant, I section it and put it back. I generally can find a lot of folks that would love to have some.

What the hey? It is part of the hobby. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Having a pond is work if you want it to look nice. I have been on vacation this past week and I have spent 10-12 hours each day with the fry and the new pond addition.

I get a lot of compliments from friends who get their fix by looking at mine.

Attachments

• Purple Stemmed Taro.JPG
    Purple Stemmed Taro.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 352

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
if we dont find the new coelus guy,s pics we will never now the invasive plant

Ask a Question