Invasive razor sharp pond grass help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post, I'm looking for help in identifying an invasive grass that has filled my pond and has tracked through the land beyond the pond. The pond is currently dry due to the extra-dry summer. The grass has a corrugated half inch, sword-like, dark green leaf with razor sharp serrated edges. The seed heads look similar to wheat suspended on a fine circular stalk. Over some years it has taken over the whole pond and is now taking over the land around it. We have strimmed them in past year but fresh leaves come up and have also weed killed to no avail.

Any help in identifying this menace and how to eradicate it, would be much appreciated.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As @Mgessert said pics will help. How tall does it get? It sounds a lot like phragmite that stuff is very invasive and almost impossible to kill once established.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1661016685403.gif
@bakers_barrel

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Agree that pictures would help. There are also apps you can download that are very good at plant ID.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
This is my first post, I'm looking for help in identifying an invasive grass that has filled my pond and has tracked through the land beyond the pond. The pond is currently dry due to the extra-dry summer. The grass has a corrugated half inch, sword-like, dark green leaf with razor sharp serrated edges. The seed heads look similar to wheat suspended on a fine circular stalk. Over some years it has taken over the whole pond and is now taking over the land around it. We have strimmed them in past year but fresh leaves come up and have also weed killed to no avail.

Any help in identifying this menace and how to eradicate it, would be much appreciated.
I see you're in the UK. Your best bet would be a local agricultural extension (group or whatever they're called there). Secondly, I would try a farm-type store (feed supply, agricultural supplies) , who should be able to put you on the right track, even if they don't know the answer. Farmers deal with noxious weeds all the time, so who would be better to ask?
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
phragmite
I HAVE HEARD THAT IF YOU KEEP IT FROM GOING TO SEED. CUT THE HEADS BEFORE THEY GROW. IT WILL EVENTUALY DIE OUT BUT I FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE KNOWING ITS ROOT SYSTEM.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Thank you all who have replied, I have only just seen the replies as I wasn't notified of the posts. Anyhow, here are some photos.

Since the photos, the grass has been strimmed with a brushcutter during the drought this summer. before the rain came I used an excavator to dig some of the soil/roots out, but the tracked machine could not cope with the boggy ground in the pond so clearance was limited to its perimeter. The demon grass is now looking very healthy with fresh shoots although now only 6 to 10 inches high, instead of the 4 or 5 feet it was before cutting. There is now some water ponding in the cleared areas and the presence of wildlife, mainly frogs. I have tried to dig the grass's roots out by hand, but it is back-breaking as the roots are all interconnected with strong pale coloured shoots.

I hope the photos will help identify this pest. As a last resort I am thinking now of weedkilling with industrial strength Roundup, but fear for the animals and aquatic life, (no fish).

Advice would be greatly appreciated and now I know there is help out there, I will keep checking this thread.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20220820_124346.jpg
    20220820_124346.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220820_124519.jpg
    20220820_124519.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh and I am in the South East of England on the Surrey/Sussex boarders. I will also send a current picture of the pond shortly.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a current photo of the pond. GBBUDD's suggestion of cutting the seed heads reminds me of something I read about the gender of these weeds. If I only have male or female plants, the seeds don't germinate. This would appear to be the case as the growth has been in a slow creep as if propagating from the expanding root system rather than seeds randomly being spread by the wind or animals. I could be wrong.

See attached photo.

Attachments

• 20221007_161528.jpg
    20221007_161528.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sorry i am unfamiliar with that plant. but covering the area with plastic and place some soil on it for a couple years may choke it out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @GBBUDD - sheet mulch the whole area. Start by cutting it all back to the ground. (I'd even suggest burning it off if you can.) Then layer cardboard over the whole area - multiple layers plain old cardboard. It attracts worms and will eventually breakdown into the soil. Then heavy duty black plastic - or better yet, the heavy black landscape fabric. This might take two full growing seasons to knock it back.

And I do believe you're right - grasses tend to spread primarily through rhizomes in an isolated area. They rely on seeds for more widespread distribution either by winds or animals. The roots can go very very deep. That's why they are so effective and necessary in the prairies of midwest.

Ask a Question