Invincible Piscicola leeches?

Reaction score
I've got a smallish pre-formed pond, of about 500/750 litres, and it has a variety of grasses, lilly, and other plant life, along with 3 small goldfish.

In January I noticed that the fish all had piscicola geometra leeches on them. After reading up, I understood that they were difficult to get rid of, but that they had a life cycle of around 30days (egg, feed, breed, die). So in the first week of January I removed the fish and placed in a separate barrel pond, making sure that the leeches were removed. To be sure, I left them in that spare pond until today (3 months) thinking that that would have been well and truly enough time for the existing leeches to die from lack of food, and for eggs to hatch and also die.

There was never a sign of leeches in the spare pond, but today I put the fish back into the main pond, and in minutes they had 3-4 leeches each!

How come they're not dead?! Any ideas of what I should do?

My next idea is to totally drain the pond and let it dry out for a couple of weeks, which will kill leeches and eggs. But what would I do with the plant life? I would need to keep them in water, but would there be leech eggs in the plants roots?

Ta

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I say that plants when brought into ponds should be first cleaned well .I take them out of there pots and clean the roots and plants really good and then they don't go in the pond for at least a month .I store them in another pot of water with fertilizer and watch them and clean them really good .Plants can hide anything and everything in there roots .

Reaction score
Hmmm, I didnt think about it being brought in by new plants. I think I bought a new lily recently so it was probably that. Not sure how you could eliminate bugs/eggs by cleaning though, as surely the eggs are welded to the vegetation. Can plants survive for a couple of days dried out?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not really but adding peroxide to the water and soaking them and repeating it should get rid of most pests and keeping plants out of pond for at least a month and this gives you a chance to use fertilized in the water also to help them grow . .Now leeches i will be honest I don't know much about them .An hour or 2 plants drying out should not hurt them but longer would kill the roots

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is something I found on the net on getting rid of leeches w/o using chemicals:

Making A Leech Trap - The Search For Safe Leech Control

Avoiding Dangerous Chemicals And Using Safe Methods
Hmmmm.... how to kill leeches in pond..... If you want to go down the chemical route it is complex and dangerous. It is also expensive to buy pond chemicals in the quantities needed. It involves replacing all plants, estimating exactly how much water the pond holds, mixing chemicals that could possibly harm the smaller fish - and destroying every living invertebrate in the pond. That was not something we were prepared to consider. So what is safe to use to kill leaches? I searched and searched until I found the idea of constructing a leech trap out of a coffee tin. Here coffee tins are not so easy to find, they tend to be metallic cardboard. Then I thought of fresh soup containers and the leech trap was born.

At present we are on our third trap and numbers are reducing. I was horrified at the number of leeches in the last trap.... How you dispose of them having caught them is another issue of course, but you need to remember that leeches are dangerous, but they are also living animals with a nervous system and should be disposed of humanely. Freezing them is one method, or release into a river system, if it is permitted, where larger fish may eat them.

Making the holes in the leech trap

Boring from the outside of the leech trap

draft_lens11055371module101151241photo_1274133047pond_010.JPG

Boring holes from the outside to create a burr on the leech trap makes it less likely leeches will crawl out through the holes. These holes can be made carefully with a steak knife and should vary in size from 2-5mm.

Raw Materials for the Leech Trap

And how the Leech Trap works

draft_lens11055371module101151221photo_1274132806pond_012.JPG

The leech trap works on the same principle as Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Jar. Leeches, being greedy, will gorge on blood and when they do they become so big that they get stuck in the hole. That is the principle - and it works. The main items needed are meat and a container. Liver or kidney is cheap and works well. Here you see a view of the inside of the leech trap. The holes are also burred which discourages early escape.

Sinking the leech trap

Placing the leech trap in your pond

draft_lens11055371module101151231photo_1274133403pond_018.JPG

Just use a net to lower the trap into the water. It will fill with water and float upright. This will catch many leeches as they can sense the meat and swim up to it. To sink the trap deeper, put stones in before the meat. Then just leave the trap for a few days to a week. It will soon fill if you have a bad infestation.

Garden Pond Resources.

Everything you need for a pond in your garden
If after reading about our organic method, you still feel squeamish and want to go down the more extreme chemical route, you can buy chemicals to clean your pond, or chemicals to kill leeches, in this section.

The First Leeches at the Feast

Leeches in the Trap....

draft_lens11055371module101151261photo_1274133621pond_019.JPG

Within a few hours, the first few leeches will come to the trap. They swim in through the holes and gorge happily on the meat.

The Leech Trap Works

The leech trap fills with leeches - pictures of blood sucking parasites.

draft_lens11055371module101512311photo_1_1274291706leeches_001.JPG
Inspecting the trap after a day in the water. Leeches are on the sides and also on the meat. These small leeches would probably normally prey on water snails, but the population explosion may have destroyed all their normal food.

Inspecting the trap after a day in the water the leeches are on the sides and also on the meat. These small leeches would normally prey on water snails,but the population explosion may have destroyed all their normal food.
Leeches caught in the leech trap on the second day........As this is the third trap,there are not so many. There were hundreds caught in the second trap. The first trap was possibly emptied too soon. Leeches have very few natural predators and can wreak havoc in a small pond feeding and possibly killing frogs and fish once they have exhausted the supply of snails.
The trap is lowered back into the water and after another two days it will be emptied and replaced. This needs repeating until no further leeches are caught. After a few weeks another trap may need to be set for hatching eggs.

What is a Leech then?

Facts about leeches....
Apart from being gross, what is a leech? A leech is a water worm, it belongs to the phylum Annelida, class Hirudinea. The blood sucking leech is a parasite to animals, birds, fish, frogs and mammals - including man. Infestation by leeches produces a condition known as Hirudiniasis. Not all leeches suck blood, some are carnivores and hunt insects and snails. However about 75% of known species of Leeches are blood sucking external parasites.

Leeches secrete Hirudin, a chemical produced in their mouth glands, which stops blood coagulating. Up to the middle of the 19th century bloodletting by leeches was a common treatment. Medicinal leeches are sterile, but wild leeches can produce infection and ulceration when satiated as they drop off.

Leeches enjoy slow moving streams, ponds, lakes and marshes, and can live on on moist vegetation in jungles and other humid environments.

Reaction score
kryten22uk said:
Hmmm, I didnt think about it being brought in by new plants. I think I bought a new lily recently so it was probably that. Not sure how you could eliminate bugs/eggs by cleaning though, as surely the eggs are welded to the vegetation. Can plants survive for a couple of days dried out?
You can absolutely bring in pests with plants. One year we ended up with anchor worm and the only that had been added that year were plants.

Reaction score
Thanks jw. I had found something similar in searching. Main issue for me is that the piscicola leech that is common here in uk is very thin indeed. The honey pot trap therefore doesnt really work. But instead I read that people just hang meat in the pond and remove it whilst the leeches are still attached. I cant help thinking that in my case as the pond is small I would be contaminating the water with meat/blood.

I cleaned the fish this afternoon, removing about 12 leeches. They come off easily without much of a fight. So continuing to do this is a similar option. Still tempted by the guarantee fix of drying the pond out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you could always take the fish out while you did the trapping but it sounds like a long drawn out thing. Try taking them out and drying the pond out and leave the plants out too. Maybe put the plants in a tub of water on their own and do the trap in the tub w/ the plants so when any eggs hatch the leech will have to go to the meat trap to eat. Otherwise I would think eggs would still be on your plants and then when back in the pond w/ the fish the cycle would start again.

Reaction score
ohhh gross... As a kid, swimming in a lake my uncles house was on, if we ever ventured over to the beach area bordered/shaded by woods, we'd end up with leeches between our toes or on our ankles... I didnt know we could have them in our fish ponds .... I cant say that we have never had them in the fish ponds, but at least know they are not only the fish ... I think I have a little OCD going on when it comes to any of our pets .. Not much of an exageration, but in the warm weather, I notice if a fish lost a scale on the rocks ,,, Will fish eat them like they do bugs??? Hubby will be so pleased that I'll be asking him about leeches next LOL.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dry the pond out, soak the plants in a light mixture of bleach. The other thing that works for gnats in the soil of house plants, is you soak them in a dishwashing soap and water mixture, like Dawn, it should work with leeches aslo. Let the plants soak for 24 hours, incapable with life.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
soak the plants in a light mixture of bleach.
How much water to bleach Addy, and soak for how long? Will be ordering plants soon ... want to be sure they are clean after reading this thread LOL.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use about 30% of bleach, soak only for about 1/2 hour. The other thing you can do is add 4 tbs of salt in just enough water to cover the plant, soak again for about 1.2 hour, rinse well. That will kill living matter and not harm the plant.

Do a test leaf of the plant, see if it harms the leaf before doing the entire plant, some might be more sensitive. Also you could start out with a milder bleach solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mozzzika

Latest Threads